Server rules... My 2 cents

Wolfeman

Alright, Here's my two cents on server rules. I'm not a toj member and I'm not currently supporting the server so take it for what it is... suggestions.

I'd love to see the server reset about every 3 months. This will allow time for people to build whatever they feel like building but will keep things from getting stale. It will also clean out the debris of people that come in and build for a little bit then leave. Finally, it will keep the server up to date with the updates. We currently have a group of people way out in the middle of nowhere mining lapis because it is not found near the spawn area and they feel it's rarity will make it valuable for trade.

Resetting the server will however cause permanent things like the spawn church and the coliseum to be lost with every reset. I don't know how to fix this problem.

But with the large number of players we have now on the server (whitelist has 71 people on it including mods and members) we need to think about some rules so here are a few I'm suggesting.

1. Once you join the server, you must find and stake out (with fences) the area you want to build in then wait 3-5 days for feedback from your neighbors on whether or not the feel you are too close. Post signs for your neighbors to make that feedback.
Fencing demonstrates the basic ability to operate in the minecraft world and waiting demonstrates patience. Waiting will also give an additional tool for identifying trouble makers. Fencing will also help keep mobs from wandering.
Building a small spawn shelter and basics would be allowed in that area.
Ecc 7:8 Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
Psalms 40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

2. No begging.
Grey and Ben are both great at helping people but too often I've heard people begging for basics like cobble and iron. If you don't have to work for it , it's not going to mean as much to you or anyone else.
2 Thess 3:10-11 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.

3. Keep it lit. (my personal pet peeve)
Torches are another basic of minecraft. Spawn has had a problem recently from mobs because of a lack of light in areas where people are building. I dropped over 200 torches in an area one night because of zombies in the spawn church and archers just outside. This helped the problem but we still have problems.
Luke 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Gen 1:3a And God saw the light, that it was good:
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Finally, I think a limit should be put on the height of buildings around or near the spawn church. Towers are great and building into the clouds is impressive but the church is supposed to be the house of God. Even in minecraft that should be a special place. There should not be buildings near God's house that overshadow or try to it.

Again, my two cents. Take if for what it is.

Last edited:
I agree with some of those things to a degree...

1. I think everyone should be required to put a sign on their houses/large creations so we at least know who to contact should there be problems with it. No sign means admins will do with it as they will.

2. Keep respectful distances from any signs or other structures. One would not build directly against another house in real life why do it here?

3. Previously I actually torched every single spot around the church in a wide circle but because of new trees and buildings they get removed. The spawn point cannot have a roof over it so that's what we are stuck with.
I believe we need to put the door back on the storage room for the mob reason but I want to know what Gator has planned for it. Said something about a new storage area. IDK where and why though.

I'm not really for having to fence stuff in just take a look around and see if you have a neighbor you are too close to. It's a ginormous map and you shouldn't have to build right next to a person.

I really don't care about another building overshadowing the church real cathedrals are kinda dwarfed nowadays anyway. I expected the area to be crowded and built there fully expecting it. I also built out into the water instead of the land to avoid people as much as possible. I'm still waiting for the guy who decides to build directly in front of the window and dock though >.> .I still need to put out buoy signs but really it's common sense people I should not have to >.< . Don't block peoples window views, doors, stairs or crowd their property. Have a little foresight if you can't build out away from others don't start building right next to them.

No I am not for restarting the map a lot of people have built really nice things in perfectly respectable spots. Yeah a fresh map is nice but my projects are usually long term. I once spent several years making a cardboard box (but you can stand on it and it will probably survive a nuclear strike) I take a long time in everything I do XD. I am for using admin powers to remove unmarked/abandoned structures. If there is a player log between that and signs it might help determine who has not been online for 6 months and who has not. Regardless I would not nuke lightly.

Off topic: Grey/Gator where do I learn the new moderator commands or are there any for me?

Last edited:
@gerbil
since the mods are down, we OPs get normal commands, try /help when on the server.
(http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Op)

@everything else
I think everyone should be required to put a sign... Keep respectful distances from any signs or other structures...
I agree

Also not sure what ben/gator wants to/is doing about donations.
No begging.
Lately some players have been asking, I would prefer they don't =b.

Keep it lit.
Mobs are on, this means no place is safe unless it is lit, sometimes it is better to just put up a wall and only lite the inside. For some things this won't be possible but should be practiced for builds that have a fair distance from any other light source like another house. this will keep traveling at night still dangerous and fun.

a fresh map is nice but my projects are usually long term.
if craftbukkit's mod was up; world-edit would be able to save any chunk set by an admin and save it as a schematic that could be implemented into the new map. this would be as easy as copying and pasting.
I am not saying we should go with a new map, but this is beta and the finished game will have other blocks, so it will have to happen sometime later.

limit should be put on the height of buildings
not so much a limit as more of guidelines, what height would work best? and what other building guidelines should players follow as well if any more?

I think this thread is a good step closer to a better server but should be discussed more.

Last edited:
Grumpy old man

Lately some players have been asking, I would prefer they don't =b.

I don't mind trading things I have for things I need and vise versa but cobble and wood are far to plenteous to beg for. Same with iron. Generally I ignore which is usually the best course of action but it may cut down on some of the riffraff if they actually have to work for what they want.

Grumpy old man part 2 (because of stupid tab/return key error)

Mobs are on, this means no place is safe unless it is lit, sometimes it is better to just put up a wall and only lite the inside. For some things this won't be possible but should be practiced for builds that have a fair distance from any other light source like another house. this will keep traveling at night still dangerous and fun.

I basically envisioned this scenario. New player joins. Puts finds a place and puts up a fence all the way around where they want to build. Gets permission and then proceeds to build.

If everyone has a fence around their property it will greatly reduce the mobility of mobs into personal areas and out of unlit personal areas. Putting up lights around your personal property is just general courtesy for others.
Lights stop mobs from spawning, fences keep mobs from moving around.

not so much a limit as more of guidelines, what height would work best? and what other building guidelines should players follow as well if any more?

The basic theme of minecraft is to find something someone else has built and build it bigger, taller, deeper, wider and larger. That's part of the mystique of building. How much more can I do?
I don't really care how tall buildings are except for the ones near the church. My personal opinion is the church should be a special building and should not be overshadowed. If you want to build higher than the church, walk out of view of the church.

Bukkit has a freeze mod (I think) that will let you freeze people who break rules for a certain amount of time. That would be an option...

If you want fancy doors let me know I can do some cool red stone stuff.

oh and I'm for server reset... I hate my skyscrapper because the game does not support really tall buildings.

Mordas, I know its not the same but you could dig down first then build up, this would net you at least 50 more blocks.

Gah, I always mess up your name >_< sorry.
And I have thought about it many times for myself as well, I wanted to do it for the nether instead though because there are less blocks to move out of the way.

Heh, I remember one small fort I build with I think SDK's mods. It had probably 20 AK-47 gun turrents with a snipers perch I sat at with my 50 caliber popping off zombies as they approached.

Funny note: When I built it , I did it on peaceful. As soon as I had everything set up how I wanted it was already dark out, so I set it on hard. Immediately every single turrent starting firing and it sounded like I was sitting next to about 5-6 BAR's on the back of a truck.

Back