September 11, 2007 - No Trivial Thing

Durruck

Pirate!
No Trivial Thing
By Lori Hensley

Today’s devotional is written by Lori Hensley, a prayer minister living in Chesapeake, Va. –jw

“He not only considered it trivial to commit the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, but he also married Jezebel daughter of Ethbaal king of the Sidonians, and began to serve Baal and worship him.” (1 Kings 16:31 NIV)

Ahab thought it was trivial – no big deal – to marry Jezebel! If you just read through the history reported in 1 Kings, you can see the consequences of this action and see that is was no trivial matter.

I suspect Ahab was just “keeping on to keep on” with life. He allowed the cultural and godless thinking to influence him more than the Word of God.

What was the result? He trivialized sin and that led him to worship of Baal.

And I started thinking: What ‘trivial’ things have I allowed into my life as a result of living in this culture? What do I accept or tolerate as normal, that 25 years ago would have been seen clearly as sin? How does that influence the decisions I make?

For example, I have friends in California who opposed the opening of a so-called “gentleman’s club” in their quiet beach community. It seemed obvious to them the club represented a form of public sin, one that brought dangerous temptation into their community. Yet my friends encountered an attitude of “que sera, sera” – whatever will be, will be – even among the Christians they knew.

This trivialization of sin seems to be pervasive. For instance, we wink at all kinds of deception when we laugh at the inappropriate attitudes or comments on so many television sitcoms. The more we laugh, the more it trivializes important truths.

So what does this mean?

· “The little foxes spoil the vine.” (Song of Solomon 2:15) – Are there little foxes in your life? Sins or attitudes that you’ve allowed to creep in, things you tolerate that you would not have tolerated in the past? What do you think God would have you do with these little foxes?

· Pray this – “Search me, O God and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way of everlasting.” (Psalm 139) Be on the lookout for how God responds.

· Purify us, God – because you are a holy God!

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back