Satan's doom averted...?

Ultima Avatar

Just a thought: what if Satan asked God for redemption for all his sins? God has that power? I realize that Jesus Christ God came down to die for the humans, but if the spirits have (had?) a will to choose whether or not to serve God, why can't Satan suck it up, walk up to God's throne, as we can see he is able to in Job, and ask God for forgiveness for his sins?

I've pondered that, but God's will is plainly laid out in Revelation - Satan will meet his doom. Besides, humans are naturally distant from God, until God calls them and makes them realize he's there. People today are seperated from God, but do not realize it. Satan and the other fallen angels were QUITE aware of God, but because of great pride, greater than even we experience, they fell. That same pride will keep Satan from throwing in the towel.

But if the question was COULD it happen, yes, it COULD, were it God's will. Remember, the elect...

WhY not then? Why can't Satan suck it up? He knows SCripture better than anyone else, yet I know he doesn't want to admit defeat. Why can't he just acknowledge God and all this strife can end?
The Lord's Will is unclear at times, too.

Because Satan is a stubborn moron, that's why. Oh yea, and he sucks too.
mad.gif

One thing to remember is that the affairs of angels don't normally concern us. The Bible does not say much about them for it is written to man, for man's benefit. Not to mention that angels have a perception of things we simply do not have, leaving us utterly unqualified to theorize on this matter.

Now then, knowing this is wild and unfounded speculation, I would say that I am unwilling to cap God's grace and I feel that Satan would be forgiven, assuming certain similarities between angels and men. However, I also suspect that the nature of the angels is such that they don't have quite the same free will that we do, whatever that might mean, and perhaps the forgiveness we experience cannot apply to angels because it does not apply to their nature.

In other words, I think the subject is a waste of time.
smile.gif
No offense.

Poo.
Well, I dunno. I just wonder...it's all speculation, I dunno...I just think...(goes on like this for an hour)
Okay: Satan's so good at deceiving he's formed his own world of theology and beliefs and he implements his own world on ours, trying to twist us to his will.
Now it says in Luke that Satan entered Judas. I strongly believe that the Prince of the Air went in and possessed the poor guy. Psycho, being gripped by Satan.
I read a book like that, called Cain, by James Byron Huggins. Excellent reading. Poses some theological questions while offering excellent science fiction. Read it, it's a good book!
I hope that Satan would beg the mercy of God.

Seeing as he's been used as the dupe of God the whole time, I would rather hope that God would have the magnaniminity to call it quits after the need for such a relationship was over.

Talk about the ultimate strawman...

Eon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ Jan. 07 2003,11:17)]Poo.
Well, I dunno. I just wonder...it's all speculation, I dunno...I just think...(goes on like this for an hour)
Okay: Satan's so good at deceiving he's formed his own world of theology and beliefs and he implements his own world on ours, trying to twist us to his will.
Now it says in Luke that Satan entered Judas. I strongly believe that the Prince of the Air went in and possessed the poor guy. Psycho, being gripped by Satan.
I read a book like that, called Cain, by James Byron Huggins. Excellent reading. Poses some theological questions while offering excellent science fiction. Read it, it's a good book!
I hope that Satan would beg the mercy of God.
You never finished your thought, lol. You said, "Now, Satan entered Judas..." as if you were going to use that to move onto something else...but you ended your post...i'm hanging, man!
tounge.gif
Still, I think that he could, since God loves all, but then again as mentioned before, angels are complertely different...still, no matter how well he knows the scriptures, dude, he can't avert it. Heck, he probably thinks "No way, I bet ya I can come up with something to keep from burning in the lake of fire!" I mean, he DID fall from right in front of God's throne to being the enemy of God...besides, you cannot, as I said, change God's will. It's impossible. The apostles (and I'm just pulling this off the top of my head, dont ask me for names or verses =\ ) didn't want to go to certain places and preach, but due to persecution, they were eventually driven to those places Jesus had said, against their will, but ACCORDING to God's will. Come on, man, you know you can't beat God's will.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why can't he just acknowledge God and all this strife can end?

Because strife is what he's aiming for? He must think it[the strife] is worth eternal ####ation. Pretty mean spiritted and spitefull I guess. I suppose angels would be a bit more long-sighted and constant than us mortals. If Satan was going to suck it up and beg for forgivness he would have saved himself the humble pie and not have usurped in the first place.

[edited for grammar - mental note to self: do not post while functioning exclusivley on caffine]

It would never happen, because as you say, it's against God's will. The Plan clearly requires a functioning Hell, and all the Fallen coming back into the fold would effectively shut it down.

Eon

One important things seems to be missed... while we can't change God's mind and will, He can. Are we really qualified to hold Him to one will? We trust that God will stick to His promises, yes, but we are entirely relying on Him to do so, having no power ourselves to make a difference. So who are we to refuse God the freedom to change His mind (as if we could do so)?

In a way, whatever happens and has happened between God and Satan is their business, not ours. We get involved only where Satan drags us into it. But anyway, that aside...

This is, of course, unfounded, but I tend to think that Satan knew what he was getting into from the first moment he rebelled. Perhaps his pride was such that he was willing to spend eternity in hell as long as he could do what he wants for a while... sorta like a person who takes up smoking even though our society makes the detrimental, long-term side effects common knowledge. Of course, that example doesn't have so much to do with pride, but you know what I mean.
smile.gif

Anyways, what better way for Satan to go with his pride than to spite God, and what better way to spite God than to mess with His ultimate creation? Of course, God allows it because it's in keeping with His will (which I still say He can change if He wants to).
smile.gif

Oh, and Eon, where did you get this whacky idea that hell depends on fallen angels to function? It doesn't depend on them any more than any men that end up there. Now, if absolutely everyone were forgiven and hell were empty, then I suppose you could say it would shut down.
smile.gif

So what is Hells hierarchy for then? We have Dukes and Princes, Fiends and Arch-Fiends, we have servants and masters... What do they do all day, if not torment the wicked?

Hell's Fallen are supposed to be an Army - and you don't keep any kind of an Army together without a Mission.

Eon

Did a little reading in Job. Job1:7 and 2:2, God asks Satan a very important question:

And the Lord said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"

I am sure the Lord know where Satan was (Roaming on the Earth). I can just see what God was thinking when Satan answered, Geez, I am God. Creator of everything. I can see the end from the beginning, I know you were on the Earth. It seems to me, the intent of the question was to get Satan to acknowledge that he (Satan) came from God. But Satan didn't.

Fiends and Arch-fiends? Dukes and Princes? Where did you hear that? I remember reading in LUke I think that the demons are different in strength. IF a weaker demon is exorcised and he returns to find his home (the person) all cleaned up on the inside, he returns with seven friends who are more terrible than he.
PErhaps a hierarchy?
Was Satan the first to fall? DId someone else rebel, but do it quietly? Like he told God: "Hey, I'm tired of this. I'm gone. I don't want no attention. G'day, mate."
? Just wondering.

Haven't you read a Demonology book? Something like the Malleus Malleficarum? Tut Tut... Witchhunters wrote whole tomes on the various legions of hell and their attributes...

Eon

Um, one, those are writen by men and men alone and as a result, most of that "detail" is very incorrect as to the workings of hell. Besides a few comments on Hell, God doesn't go into detail about Hell because it needs not to be discussed. He tells us that we are to avoid Satan in everything we do so it is not neccesatry that we know everythign about hell. Frankly, from what God tells us about Hell, I don't want to know much more nor do i care to because it matters ot to me. My resting place after I die will be with Him in Heaven.

But anyway, my little comment on why it is that lucifer will never suck it up and ask forgiveness is that God tells us of the happenings in teh end times and that lucier will eventually be thrown into the lak of fire which is unimaginably worse the most fiery pits of hell. And because God can forgive Satan for his wrongs (at least I am under the impression that He can) yet Satan will still burn in the lake of fire tells us that lucifer (satan) will not repent. I know this to be true because He is Omnicient (all knowing) and He never fails in His promises nor does He ever lie.

Well, if God doesn't talk about how Hell works then how do you know the demonologists are wrong?

Eh? Eh?

Eon

but how do you know they are right? And given the fact that they are "demonologists," (*shivers at the thought*) they are under the influence of lucifer himself, a deciever above all other things, which renders their opinions virtually useless. (not that they were usefull anyway...)

Nawww... Demonologists in that time period mostly HUNTED them for the Inquisition! They may be messed up insaneoids, but I'm afraid that they're on YOUR side.

I'll agree with you that they're not exactly the most stable of individuals, but then I wouldn't know either way, would I? I don't believe in any of it... <Grins>

Eon

Back