Same Sex Romance Options in TOR?

Well that seems inline with Bioware's other offerings. Not sure I care, I would rather it not be there, but I don't expect gaming producers to hold Christian values. I expect them to act like who they are.

Would be nice if there was a parental control area where you could block this content so parents and kids don't have to be tempted.

In my opinion its wasted development time, and that's sad.

Last edited:
As Ewok said, it doesn't surprise me or change anything - other Bioware RPGs have offered that sort of thing.

SWTOR also has killing, stealing, greed, etc.....but so does the city where I live in real life. To me, SWTOR is an extension of real life, because it was made by men. It's part of the world, and we are offered choices and discernment to make the right choices. We also have opportunities to witness in game like we do in real life.

I don't like Biowares decision to allow this either, but I don't see how they could avoid "discrimination" lawsuits otherwise. They could have left out the whole romance thing altogether...I find it silly anyways.

I don't like Biowares decision to allow this either, but I don't see how they could avoid "discrimination" lawsuits otherwise. They could have left out the whole romance thing altogether...I find it silly anyways.

But killing, stealing, lying...but thats all okay?

[toj.cc]phantom;433342 said:
But killing, stealing, lying...but thats all okay?

The problem with it can be that I would say it is easier to cross the line into sin when it comes to "romance" type stuff than it is to cross the line on some of those other areas. Making my set of pixels torch another set of pixels with virtual lightning doesn't make me any more likely to do something like that to a real person or to meditate on doing it to a real person. However, being shown... certain images... related to romance is more likely to lead to sinful thoughts in my opinion. That said, I still don't have a problem with that stuff being in the game, it's just another thing that requires you to recognize the difference between the game and reality.

My quick, I don't have the time to get involved, blurb.

There is a difference between Bioware adding same sex options and being able to play an "evil" character. Clearly Bioware is pro-homosexuality and hopes for it's normalization and acceptance in real life. Homosexual options will not be presented as "wrong" and doubtlessly good guys will be able to be gay too. Some other sinful choices in games can make doing bad things in real life more appealing however most have no corresponding agenda being pushed in real life (and there are actually laws with very clear consequences against many things). To re-iterate I don't give other content in games a free pass but there is a decided difference between how choices/ideas can be presented. Bioware's pro-homosexuality beliefs are simply reflected by their games as we reflect Christ in our works in the hope others will accept him. I have specifically avoided Bioware games in the past (and I do want a couple T_T) because I do not want to encourage the spread of sexual sin/homosexual acceptance. People will either get used to it or come to desire those options, then other developers will see sex options being popular (or want to push the belief too) add them in their games and then the cycle repeats until sex options are considered normal. At that point you'll have no games to play without them and then the push to make those options more explicit will continue. Those options will also become less avoidable in a game the more work that gets put into them. Thus morality/culture shapes and is shaped by media.

I'm not getting on you guys for buying Star Wars, I've caved a few times too, and I hope your clan chapter is a success but morality will continue to erode as long as no one says no to anything. In short be mindful of what you support with your wallet and pray about it like you should with everything. Every game is imperfect but to buy without at least thinking about what is supported by your purchase is irresponsible.

Slightly irrelevant side thought: Sometimes I feel like companies think I'll buy anything as part of the mindless masses. Even if it's hard I reject that. I'm going to be an individual and refuse to buy the next "big" thing simply because everyone else is. If I buy or do something I'll do it because I want it (or hopefully because God wants it).

Last edited:
People will either get used to it or come to desire those options, then other developers will see sex options being popular (or want to push the belief too) add them in their games and then the cycle repeats until sex options are considered normal. At that point you'll have no games to play without them and then the push to make those options more explicit will continue. Those options will also become less avoidable in a game the more work that gets put into them. Thus morality/culture shapes and is shaped by media.

Wow... If that were true, there wouldn't have been a G rated movie since the 70's, or all music outside of Christian/Gospel would be explicit.

I agree with drawing your own line and standing by it, but I remember someone saying that we are in this world, not of this world...
I feel that, sure, each and every Christian if they wanted to avoid the nasty stuff in this world, had better go build a stone building to go study the Bible and make cheese and candles in.

We are supposed to be ambassadors for Christ no? Just because there is ugly stuff in this world and people doing ugly things, doesn't mean we should decide we ought not be around it, afraid that it will magically jump on us and make us to sin. Now if your a person weak enough to be tempted by such things, then by all means stay away. We are to take God's light and reflect it into the dark corners of this world, to the people that need God the most. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was taught we are to make a difference in this world, in all the things we do.

I have played a couple of MMOs that include worship of "gods" in the lore; but you know, if I had made the choice not to buy those games, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to lead someone to become Saved. (true story)

Pray about it and hope your lead of our Loving Father.

P.S. I'm not trying to talk you into playing SW:TOR, just discussing the topic.

You bring some good points and you are correct that we are to be in the world, not of it.

But the flip side of that coin is 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 where we are commanded to be separate. I'm not going to argue interpretation or application. It can go many ways and I'm personally still struggling with it. But I can't get over the number of people who will not hear about Christ because "If that's how a Christian is, I want no part!" or "Why should I be a Christian if there's no difference?" (you can see this in action in any of the servers when someone argues about a Mature game you can't cuss in)

Gerbil has a great point. As long as we refuse to take a stand, standards will continue to slide. The lost will never try to get better on their own. A look at homosexuality (or even the use of profanity to be generic about it) 50 years ago on television and now shows that if no one stands up and objects it will continue to get worse and worse, never better and better, until the lowest standard possible is accepted and embraced.

It's not a matter of avoiding it for our own sake. It's a matter of avoiding it to show Christ. However, it is a personal matter (one I've already said I struggle with) and up to each person to decide where they stand.

Last edited:
Wow... If that were true, there wouldn't have been a G rated movie since the 70's, or all music outside of Christian/Gospel would be explicit.

I think you are over thinking it. Compare similar genres. G rated movies aren't like G rated movies of yesteryear and equivalent "mature" movies and music aren't the same either (Madagascar 2 echos every time I think of bad G movies). Media is not all explicit because people still have some standards and have fought back on occasion only currently standards are in erosion. When standards are gone completely it will be the end times. I watch more movies from the 1940s than modern ones and trust me it's a vastly different world in acceptable content (they had cussing and sex then but they also had higher standards and a code). People, particularly children, will learn to accept things as normal from games as with any other media. Social pressure can be exerted through mass media to give the sense everyone accepts it. The only definite control I have over what music and games are produced in the future is by what I buy.

I agree with drawing your own line and standing by it, but I remember someone saying that we are in this world, not of this world...
I feel that, sure, each and every Christian if they wanted to avoid the nasty stuff in this world, had better go build a stone building to go study the Bible and make cheese and candles in.

We are supposed to be ambassadors for Christ no? Just because there is ugly stuff in this world and people doing ugly things, doesn't mean we should decide we ought not be around it, afraid that it will magically jump on us and make us to sin. Now if your a person weak enough to be tempted by such things, then by all means stay away. We are to take God's light and reflect it into the dark corners of this world, to the people that need God the most. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was taught we are to make a difference in this world, in all the things we do.

I have played a couple of MMOs that include worship of "gods" in the lore; but you know, if I had made the choice not to buy those games, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to lead someone to become Saved. (true story)

Pray about it and hope your lead of our Loving Father.

By all means I know we need to not hide away from the world. I've said the same thing myself that we need to be out in the world making a difference or what good is it being on Earth but by the same token if we are no different from the world how can we make a difference. We can neither withdraw into ourselves nor accommodate the world and simply go with the flow of the culture. The thing is our influence extends beyond what we say and how we behave it's also about what we support with our money, or rather I should say God's money, and that deserves consideration. If you were taught to make a difference in this world in all the things you do why would you exclude what you spend money on? I too would really like to play a Bioware game but this specific company is known for pushing homosexual options so I try to resist (though I don't always succeed in my tries). There are other games, and mmos, to play that are not pushing homosexuality albeit with their own flaws. If it comes to worst I don't have to play games to live either. (Though I respect you are out of luck if you want a Star Wars mmo).

Let's be honest here too although we may have the opportunity to save people in a game we aren't buying it to foremost lead a ministry group you are buying it to play it for fun, in a Christian way, but for fun. I also agree with being a force for Christ in dark places maybe you being in Star Wars will let you speak against the homosexuality content. Thing is most people could just as easily speak or show Christ in other needed places. That's without spending money in support of something against the very values they are trying to spread. I'm not saying "do not buy Star Wars" nor have I been. I considered playing in the beta myself and as I said I wish you guys success so you can be that light in darkness. I also play TF2 which has some words I object to and I too believe I can be a positive Christian force in it. However understand in supporting TF2 or Star Wars we've said "hey I'll buy your product even though it has content I don't like in it" and that has an effect of producing more products like it. Also the "possibility" of saving someone through a mmo could be applied to just about anything. Any experience could be used from playing single player games, to sports to professional yodeling could let you have an opportunity or topic to "bond" with others and get your foot in the door so to speak. As such simply because a thing can be done with Christ is not a reason to do everything. We should have limits not for our sake alone or we will forsake media to the spreading of secular beliefs. I've said it before on the forums take a stand, say no to something lest the industry continue in the manner it is. What you spend your money on is like voting. People think their vote doesn't matter so they don't vote but all those apathetic people add up. The only reason I posted here at all is because, although you guys seem to disagree with homosexuality, you sound apathetic about changing anything. Ask yourself have you ever refrained from any purchase not wanting to support something? If you have you took a stand gold star for you! If you haven't you are cattle to be herded... probably off cliffs... with spikes at the bottom... and a hamburger factory... and... :p .

P.S. I'm not trying to talk you into playing SW:TOR, just discussing the topic.

I'm not trying to talk you guys out of it either. I want Darthspock to have many apprentices :p . Just say no at some point you don't have to buy everything :) .

Last edited:
In the swtor forums someone made a list of all the gay/lesbian/trans guilds that are available. I replied there "Thank you for that information, now I know what guilds NOT to join"

I got an email warning for trolling. And my post was deleted.

Maybe I was a little harsh...But it was an off the cuff thing.

I will be separate of the world simply by not making my character have a same sex relationship. It is inevitable in our culture today for us to not have things like this incorporated into secular games, shows, etc. We cannot expect anyone to act like Christians when they don't know Christ. The gamers in the culture are becoming an unreached people group b/c we are unwilling to set aside differences such as these to present Christ to them. I am willing to set aside the fact that I would rather not see someone in a homosexual relationship in order to play a game that will be enjoyable, and use it to reach the lost. It is no different than using a social networking site such as facebook or twitter, both of which has plenty of GTL accounts, to represent Christ, nor going to a ball game and seeing homosexuals there.
So, instead of arguing whether or not to play a game simply b/c it will rightly represent our culture, let us instead encourage each other to use this game to preach Christ alone, and ultimately glorify God through it.

I always play female characters in MMOs, if I chose a normal romance, does that make it a same sex romance since I am male IRL?

I always play female characters in MMOs, if I chose a normal romance, does that make it a same sex romance since I am male IRL?

If you look at your character as an extension of yourself, then maybe the answer is yes. But if you view it as just character, like one from a novel, and you get to choose the outcome of that character, then you are just bettering the story for yourself, correct?

Not to get off topic here, but..
As for myself, in DCUO, I bought the Light power and found that I enjoyed it more as a yellow-ring using, female alien than I did as a green-ring using, blue-skinned alien male that I started with. *shrugs* somethings are just more entertaining I guess, and maybe they should be if that's the point of spending the time in-game.

Back on topic..
I was kind of hoping to see if those options were even in the game yet when I was playing the beta. I view it as them giving more options to the players, freedom of choice if you will. I enjoyed the option in Mass effect, the fact that is was there, I never needed to explore that choice but I think developers are widening the gaming community or just making it more accepting and accommodating.
Now that I've typed all of that I find that I've never really thought all that much about it in games, not really payed it any mind.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the option in Mass effect, the fact that is was there, I never needed to explore that choice but I think developers are widening the gaming community or just making it more accepting and accommodating.

That's it they want homosexuality to be seen as acceptable. That is their belief so it's supported in their products it's that simple. They probably get a few sales from people who believe in supporting it too.

Now that I've typed all of that I find that I've never really thought all that much about it in games, not really payed it any mind.
Keep on thinking (and praying, and bible reading) about everything lest others do it for you :) .

Last edited:

Well... haha what if a male character wants to start a romance with your female character? Maybe just stay away from RP servers :p

Back