rogue is in! Any suggestions from the experienced?

Kevin

So I'm doing my usual flip-flopping on classes, and I remembered that I already had a lock on another server that I will be playing more this fall. So between Angie and my girlfriend, I decided on a gnome rogue. I will probably level combat swords, switching over to combat daggers when I hit 60ish...I found a few decent guides online while I was bored at work yesterday (as I am now) and was wondering if the guildie rogues had anything to add to that.

I know Rueage is a mutilate build and loves it. The reason I was told was that it is a good PvE/PvP build. Myself I went with a combat daggers build.

Smertrios started life with combat daggers then moved over to combat swords when TBC came out. Swords does more damage, but daggers allows a little more flexibility. That and Rueage stated there are better daggers at higher level. Combat builds are better suited for PvE.

I do have another rogue that went hemorrhage.

Hemorrhage and mutilate are great for PvP cause of the quick point build up.
Combat is great for PvE cause of the all out damage generation.

Mutilate build has been great, my only complaint is on poison immune mobs and/or bosses (luckily there are not many bosses).

yeah, I was reading that combat swords was the way to level, and combat dagers is great sustained dps for raids or instance setting. I suppose the flexibility you're talking about would be from having a dagger equipped, allowing for backstab and all those other dagger-only moves? Or is there a benefit that my previously only caster self is missing?

I leveled to 60 combat daggers. It was a lot of fun. I got to 70 with combat swords. It's less fun (Cheap shot, SnD, SS, SS, SS, Evis) but it goes a little faster. The bottom line is that rogues and decimate pretty much any mob no matter what build they are. It's just want do you enjoy the most. With gouge, blind, cheap shot, kidney shot, vanish, kick, etc you can dominate any single-mob encounter no matter what the build.

noob question...

what exactly is the difference in "skill" rotation for a dagger rogue over a sword? sword is pretty obvious with SS/CS/SND/SSSSSSSSSSSS...but do dagger rogues work in backstabs after their stuns, or open with an ambush....what's different? I never was thrilled about the idea of a sword rogue...just didn't seem right. (=

My only thing to add is... if your toon looks like Tinie, and you're running with Esua, make sure your evasion or vanish is on cooldown. Esua likes to misdirect onto the wrong gnome...

yeah, I'll be honest...I've died a few times because I see that full yellow bar, and assume that my health must be full, too. Being a melee class definately has its differences, like Warlord Krithesh parrying three 5pt eviscerates to kill me because I couldn't click the potion button because I was paralyzed by disbelief. )=

Yep, been there, done that. Get loads of +hit. You need something like 8% to overcome mainhand misses. if you dual wield, you need about another 10% or so...

lvled my rogue to 60 on combat daggers, my only beef with that build was the slow combo point generation.

I've since split time as hemo and mutilate. Hemo is kinda fun and can pump out a surprising amount of dps. The debuff also helps to increase any other melee types dps.

But my favorite thus far has been mutilate. As Adam has mentioned you have great flexibility. You can even tweak your mutilate build to be more pve orientated or pvp orientated as you like. All in all a very good utility build that will be on par with combat on non poison immune mobs, and likely on par with hemo on poison immune mobs. In fact I have exceeded combat rogues regularly in instances that I have paired with them.

Just my two cents.

Sean

I have, after a year and a half, respecced Rueage to Mutilate PVE from PVP build. I am looking forward to the imp SnD and other assis. oriented points.

Back