Retro Saturdays

Baraach

Well, on Saturday Onyxia fell to 10 mighty warriors (2 62's, a 64, and 7 70's). Thanks to everyone who came out, it was a blast. We thought we were marching to our doom, until we aggroed extra trash mobs on the way, and dropped them without a sweat. Then we faced the brood mother in her own chamber, and only surrendered two of our party. Being mostly new to her, we were still sorting out gear when her corpse despawned, so we didn't get a picture, or her hide.... but really, it did happen.

I'll post the screen shot we got of her head hanging in SW. I know its not the same..... but still....

Anyways, the conversation turned to how fun the event was, and some body (Anita I think) came up with the term "Retro Saturdays" for doing more of the old instances. Many of us have never even got close to them before, and gearing seems such that we can obviously experience them without even 1/2 what was formerly needed.

So, on GC its posted for a BlackWing Lair run, but in reading up on it, I think first we should take a look at the Molten Core. (Something about the Onyxia Scale Cloak being needed to negate Nefarion's Shadow Breath) I'll change the event in Group Calendar, and we'll see how things look. We do want to see BWL before its re-worked for the next expansion, but I think we have some time.

Thanks to all who came out, and maybe we'll see more of you next time.

Last edited:
No need to do MC before BWL. The Onyxia Scale Cloaks are made from scales skinned from Onyxia. At a minimum your tanks need the cloaks once you get to Firemaw (boss #4), and if the other raid members have them for insurance, that's even better. Once you get to Nefarion, all raid members will need one.

The cloak is used to protect you against the DoT effect of the dragon's Shadowflame attack, which is 3000-5000 damage, plus a 1000 damage per tic DoT that lasts for 30 minutes.

EDIT: Re-reading your post Baraach, I see that you could mean doing MC while getting cloaks for BWL :)

Right, I see I wasn't clear. What I meant was, since we need cloaks for everyone who wants to go, we might as well do MC this weekend (and Ony, for scales for the cloak). Once we get enough cloaks for tanks, we can start looking at BWL.

Question, are there any special requirements for AQ20/40? Attunements, or required gear?

AQ40 and 20 only require that the gates have been opened (which they have on Terenas). The difficulty level starts around that of late MC, and scales up to harder than BWL, but that shouldn't be an issue for Outland geared folks.

While I was able to help with some "insider" info on Ony, I don't know the fights in MC (especially the last bosses) nearly as well and I've only seen BWL a couple of times. However, I'm still game to go..I'd love to see BWL and wonder whether Naxx is a possibility (I think we have to be attuned for that). I've seen AQ20 quite a bit (especially the first fights) but have no clue about AQ40..only been there a couple of times.

I wasn't the one who coined the term Retro Saturdays..I have to give credit to someone else who was along...Mike J perhaps (Berstromme). I think it will be cool to give some of these other instances a try.

if I didn't have meets I would love to go, BWL is a BLAST, so is AQ 40 and Naxx, the end fights in MC require a bit of a people requirement still because of numbers but other wise you guys will do sweet!

if u exalted with ad u get free attunment for naxx, toehr evels have prices

Um, what are "toehr evels" :) I have no idea what that last part meant.... and yes, the higher your level of rep with the Argent Dawn, the cheaper your attunement for Nax.

Thanks for the tips all. I'm sure we'll have a blast, even if we manage some great wipes (isn't that part of the raiding experience?) Jen's almost lvl 60 (pushing 57 atm) and is just dying to join us. She's already got Jailbreak done, so we'll be looking for another UBRS run in the near future too (and for Phil & Alanna too).

Oh! I just got it, you meant "other levels" Lol :p

I wasn't concerned about my attunement for Naxx as I have enough mats banked to get me to exalted and it will be cheap to go..I was more concerned about the people who were not 60's for months (years?) before tbc came out and haven't had the rep grind...I guess I should check what the Naxx key costs for someone who has little to no rep..it may still be something that our guildies are willing to consider :D

You're right, Naxx might have to wait for a while, especially for those who are still doing leveling, and don't want to waste time grinding faction or spending money for pure entertainment and minimal progression. We'll see how it goes when we get to that point :)

Anita, thanks for the credit on the name. Sorry I can't make it this Saturday. I do think this will be fun and a great way to give those going from 60 to 70 some "low threat" raid experience. That as last Sat proved is quite fun and enjoyable.

I wasn't concerned about my attunement for Naxx as I have enough mats banked to get me to exalted and it will be cheap to go..I was more concerned about the people who were not 60's for months (years?) before tbc came out and haven't had the rep grind...I guess I should check what the Naxx key costs for someone who has little to no rep..it may still be something that our guildies are willing to consider :D
30Gold and a Nexus Crystal at Revered.

I forgot the amount at honored.

Naxx would be uber...Lloki would love to see the old instances, and depending on how long it takes and group composition, I have a 47 holy pally I'm interested in leveling up, so if she hits 60+ soon, I may bring her, too! *hopes for T2 gear*

So MC tonight, 7:00 Server time, and we'll take all who come, up to 40 :)

I'd recommend reading up on the bosses, just for info, this is what I'll be following. I'm sure it will be a learning experience, but not too much trouble. http://www.wowwiki.com/Molten_Core is a good resource.

Last edited:
I would be very interested in being a part of some of these groups. My highest character is in my sig, lvl 62, but progressing slowly.

I have never done any of the pre-expansion raids and i would like to get a chance to see them eventually and experience the boss fights.

I should point out that some of the loot in BWL/AQ40 is actually "still good" for people who have not done Karazhan yet. Just be aware that people will ridicule you endlessly if you post a level 60 epic as one of your "epic loots." Lol. My paladin is still using a ring from Molten Core /shame.

I personally would love to see BWL again. As far as I recall, Neirai still has his Onyxia scale cloak... but I could be wrong. By now, healers should be able to heal through the shadowbreath on tanks fairly easily... but not on the whole raid.

I never saw more than the first 2 bosses in BWL and I'd love to get a look at Naxx. AQ40 is still mostly new content for me too. I'm happy to do ZG or MC too.

Back