[Resto Shaman] Stat allocation thoughts

[7F]LarryBoy

So I had a chance to do some raiding on my shaman last night, first chance after the patch. Prior to the raid I had converted a bunch of haste over to Mastery, mostly on a whim.

My experience last night was that mana is still not really an issue. I will probably just end up spamming a lot of Greater Healing Wave and Healing Surge, even though this isn't really supposed to be all that mana efficient. I think I will need to do this though to keep up with the damage the tanks were taking, which is still rather spikey.

In light of this, I think that Haste is still going to be the most important stat for Resto shamans until Cataclysm comes. I'm going to unforge all my gear back to Haste, and see how things go on Friday. I'll update this post with some feedback then.

Feel free to contribute your thoughts and experiences.

Was there a big difference in the size of heals?

Wonder if crit could be a stat to try changing. My shaman has no money right now so i can't really do much testing. If i get some money, i'll start some testing also.

Can't do any raiding currently but did an heroic in Elem spec and liked the changes, things seem to flow well and it felt like damage was up some.

Definitely.

*All numbers in ICC 10, with 30% buff*
- Healing Surge (formerly Lesser Healing Wave) was critting for 11000ish, now crits for 19000ish. Costs a LOT more mana now.
- Healing Wave was critting for around 28000 or so, now about 8000. Very cheap now.
- Chain heal is healing for about 1/5 of what it used to. It's going to be quite challenging to heal an aoe healing intensive fight like BQL. We'll have to see what happens.
- Riptide and Earth Shield are close to the same, maybe a bit less. I did notice that Riptide hot tics can now crit which is a nice surprise.

Overall healing is hitting for less. This won't be much of a problem when tanks have larger health pools, and damage slows down, like it does in Cataclysm. The damage is still pretty fast and spikey in ICC, and so you need to spam your "inefficient" heals to keep up. Fortunately mana efficiency seems to still allow this.

Last edited:
did you find that you use Greater healing wave much at all in there?? I haven't actually done my resto spec yet for my shaman but it's prob next on the list.

On Tanks I was certainly using mostly Greater Healing Wave or Healing Surge. Healing Wave simply doesn't heal for enough, and the damage is fast enough that you don't have time to "top off" the tank with a bunch of Healing Wave casts.

On dps or other healers who take some collateral damage, Healing Wave may be ok, depending on the situation. If they get knocked really low, you probably still need to use Healing Surge.

I'm not sure. I noticed my numbers went up but mana consumption was a bit more, then again, I didn't really look at the cost of the spells much before jumping right into a run. I completely forgot I had GHW until halfway in the run then quickly threw it onto my healing bar and assigned a hot key to it on my mouse. Riptide was definitely critting more and seemed like it triggered the Abacus more. Guess I will figure more out as I play more.

what I'm reading is that you aren't using chain heal very much anymore? pre-patch did you use it a lot or not very much either?

I found last Wednesday that I used it less than I did before. Unfortunately, my video card gave in right after the patch came out, so I haven't been able to do any more raid testing.

Back