Recommendations for a Homeworld Fan?

Shagz

Recently been working my way through the last few missions of Homeworld 2. (yes, it's taken me this long, not because it was hard - and it WAS hard - but because I only played it intermittently) Doing so has reminded me of what an awesome series this was, and I don't really want it to end.

Anybody have any recommendations for something in the same vein?

I'm looking for:
- space opera with a great story
- 3d movement
- lots of big space ships blowing up with stunning digital pyrotechnics
- paper-rock-scissors unit combat
- NO dynamic difficultly (one of the reasons I played HW2 intermittently)

(Oh, and I understand that THQ, owner of Relic, has started the process of acquiring the rights to the franchise, but only the trademark so far, not the intellectual property)

I know Homeworld is more of an RTS, but are you also interested in 4X games?
  1. eXploration
  2. eXpansion
  3. eXploitation
  4. eXtermination
For more information on 4X games, check out this Mobygames article.

You may want to check out Sins of a Solar Empire in particular. If I had the expendable income, I'd seriously consider picking up a copy. I have a soft spot for 4X games, thanks to Starflight for the Sega Genesis.

EDIT: Oh, and Star Control 3 was a blast to play, too. It might be difficult to track down a copy and play it in Windows XP, though.

Last edited:
Sins looks beautiful, but I just want to build, strategize and destroy. The diplomacy/economic stuff might be a little too much for me. :p Will have to look for a demo though... thanks!

Sins looks beautiful, but I just want to build, strategize and destroy. The diplomacy/economic stuff might be a little too much for me. :p Will have to look for a demo though... thanks!
If you find a demo, please let me know and post a link to it here. I'm interested in trying it out.

Tried out the demo, and alas, not really my thing. :( It's alright, but the fighting didn't really feel like a real battle, and you're stuck on 2-dimensions. I'll play through a few more of the tutorials though, maybe it gets better...

Back