Re-discovering the Gamer Within

Wh1te Out

Hello, CGA.

As many of you know I was once an active member of CGA and even on the ToJ staff. For the past seven months, though, I've been MIA while deployed out to sea. To say that my gaming habits have taken a hit would be an understatement. But I think it's time to search for discover myself now, as I prepare to return home in mid-June.

See, I've always had a problem hanging onto hobbies and interests. Mine come and go like the wind and not only do I waste money, but I waste time trying to decide what I should focus my entertainment time on. I've decided to go back to PC gaming, largely because of the existence of groups like CGA and the social aspects of PC gaming. I'm anxious to get into LAN games, LAN parties and the like as soon as possible, even though I won't be devoting every night to my PC. I'm not sure yet just what I'll be playing, but I hope to meet those of you that are new and re-acquaint myself with those of you I already know.

To kick off my new plans, I've even upgraded my PC. Here is what I will have when I get home:

CASE: Alienware NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case (Black/Silver Color)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
LCD Monitor: ViewSonic VG2030WM 20& quot; WSXGA+ Color TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
[SIZE=-0]OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

Any suggestions on games from those with similar playing habits are welcome. I'm married with two kids and they will always come first. I'm reserving sports games for my 360, too, so no need to recommend those (not that you would). :)
[/SIZE]

For Starters, i would warn against Vista. Just like any new operating system, there are few games are that compatible. Yet, games are quickly becoming compatible with Vista's soft ware... yet some of the older games most definitely will have a hard time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it comes with Vista only. Not that I mind, as the drivers are constantly being updated. It'll be an awesome system for gamers as it grows, just like anything else. :)

Welcome back... LANA OF MOUNTLAKE... yes yes GuildWars... SoE is still here, along with its clone SOE and our alliance of course... muahahaha...

laf.... lana.... i remember that. but yeah C&C 3 and ZH i cant get to work on my buddys laptop so who knows. CS works fine though

I run 64bit XP and for my gaming preferences I am so happy to have compatiblity mode to be able to run games in 2000, me, 98, etc modes Saved my gaming quite a few times when 64bit doesn't run a game right.

VIDEO CARD: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Does that mean you are using SLI?

Would anyone agree, 420W would be good enough for SLI?

From the way it looks like it, I still rule on the Memory specs. :cool:

Using 4 GB OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 DDR 400.

You has teh ZH? I has teh ZH! We teh must play teh ZH!!
/smacks C$ with a trout

I...just couldn't help it. The trout, it...moved of its own volition.

To kick off my new plans, I've even upgraded my PC. Here is what I will have when I get home:
That's...a very nice PC. I'm making a concerted effort not to be jealous, as my next desktop PC build is likely still a few years away. If my parents hadn't purchased a shiny new notebook for me last May, I'd likely be unable to play any of the current generation of games at a playable framerate.

One day I'll have a shiny desktop computer again. :(

But, my pouting aside, congratulations! :D

Never again will I play a female character. What was I thinking? LOL
You were likely thinking that the male Monk running animation looks absurd. I would never have rolled a female character in Guild Wars otherwise.

Thanks, Tek. It took some convincing to get the wife to agree, but this should last me awhile. Looking very forward to being active in ToJ again upon my return to the good ole' U.S.of A.

Back