Profession Build Suggestions: Monk

joshofstl

Someone had earlier asked for some suggested build ideas for different classes. Here are a few possibilities based on my time as a monk.

- Healing Monk

My philosophy on healing monks is based on two premises… a) cheap spells and b) good value from those spells. As such, I tend to avoid spells like Healing Breeze and even Heal Other because they are simply too expensive for the healing you get for them. Instead, I live and die by 5-point healing spells.

My suggested “essential” skills for a full-time healer:

1) Word of Healing (elite)
2) Orison of Healing
3) Dwayna’s Kiss / Healing Touch
4) Healing Seed
5) (optional spell)
6) (optional spell)
7) (optional spell)
8) Rebirth (remember, your allies usually die in a mob… and you don’t want to agro the mob…)

I find that I can keep most any group of 3-5 alive for an extended period of time simply by cycling through those first three spells. Some may consider adding Breeze and Heal Other to the mix, but in my experience you won’t need them if you alternate properly between spells 1-3.

For your remaining spells, you might put your “leftover” points into protection (protective spirit or aegis) or smiting (bane signet or balthazaar’s aura). Other possible skills include: smite hex, zealot’s fire, guardian, or divine spirit.

- Protection Monk

Protection monk builds vary widely, but many fall broadly into one or both of the following categories:

1) The “maintained enchantments” protection monk. This build mainly uses enchantments like life bond or life barrier (elite) to reduce damage done on your opponents, while simultaneously using the blessed signet to recoup lost energy. This build is quite useful in high-damage areas like the Underworld but is susceptible to mesmer foes. Life barrier is a superior choice for an elite in this build and DOES stack with life bond.

2) The “standard” protection monk. This build focuses less on maintaining enchantments and more on standalone enchants like reversal of fortune, protective spirit, guardian, and Aegis to protect and support your team. You have many options for an elite here; mark of protection and shield of regeneration are both favorites among protectors but I also like peace and harmony or perhaps even spell breaker.

A possible enchantment-based protection monk build:

1) Reversal of Fortune
2) Protective Spirit
3) Blessed Signet
4) Aegis
5) Life Barrier (elite)
6) Life Bond / Signet of Devotion
7) Divine Spirit / Blessed Aura
8) Rebirth

A possible general-purpose protection monk build

1) Reversal of Fortune
2) Protective Spirit
3) Guardian
4) Aegis
5) Mark of Protection / Shield of Regeneration / Peace and Harmony / Spell Breaker (all elites)
6) Signet of Devotion
7) Divine Spirit / Blessed Aura
8) Rebirth

- Smiting Monk

Smiting monks are terribly underrated in the game for several reasons. One, a properly outfitted smiting monk can do damage similar to (and in rare cases above) even elementalist builds (i.e. Blessed Aura + Balthazaar's Aura = 260 or more points of damage), and if paired with secondaries like the elementalist’s glyph of lesser energy or the mesmer’s channeling can offer a good stream of holy force. I also like smiting because it works through your allies, and so spells like Balthazaar’s Aura will “chase” opponents in a sense.

The biggest drawback to being a full-time smiting monk is that the demand for healing and protection monks is so terribly high that its hard to find a group who will give you the time of day. They’re far more likely to take a nuker instead of you or demand you switch to healing.

I do like to carry some smite on my healers, though, using leftover points. Bane Signet can knock over foes who are doing damage to your party, and Shield of Judgment is so entertaining to watch it’s not even funny.

My suggested “essential” skills for full smiters:

1) Balthazaar’s Aura
2) Shield of Judgment (elite)
3) Bane Signet
4) Banish
5) (optional spell)
6) (optional spell)
7) (optional spell)
8) Rebirth

From there, you have many options for other spells, but I highly recommend Smite Hex if you intend to run into hexing foes. Others have suggested judges insight or such. Practically speaking, carrying 3 healing spells or more will make you a better sell to potential parties out there, and you can still use Zealot’s Fire to inflict more damage.

Last edited:
Back