Processor locked?

TheRaven

Ok, dumb question of the day. I keep hearing that GW2 is "processor locked". What exactly does that mean? I get the impression it means our graphics cards don't matter, but they will when the game launches for real.

I've also heard it means that the game doesn't use the graphics card at all, but I guess that doesn't make much sense. The graphics are fantastic. I didn't think that would be possible without a graphics card.

I dont think its allowing for the full use of the CPU.

However I am not the best one to answer this and I will await one of our more techie people to answer this.

I had heard in another thread that - on their end they were not pushing the graphics to their full extent during the first beta weekend. I'll see if I can track that down.

I stole a post from a forum thead for you.
I feel there is a bit of a misconception here. The game is 'CPU bound' because the CPU aspect of the game is completely unoptimized, or even finished (the game can use 4 threads, but the current build only uses one properly). That means the CPU simply cannot keep up with the graphics card, so most decent graphics cards can be essentially idling when 'maxing' the game, despite not being anywhere near 60fps. It takes both the CPU and GPU to push a frame out for a game, if one is lagging behind, the other has to wait. That's what a 'bottleneck' is. CPU-bound is another word for CPU-bottleneck.

It's not a case of the graphics card aspect not being finished causing the performance. If it isn't (to the degree the CPU isn't), then wow! A hd5870 will already be pulling ~100-140fps at all times in PvE when not CPU limited.

I repeat, it's not a case of GPU resources being 'locked' or something else to that regard, the CPU side simply isn't finished in any form, starving the GPU of information it requires to finish rendering the frame and send it out to you.

Thanks for the info. Would explain why it was lagging but my video card was running cool still and barely working.

Back