Prayer Request

Echodelta

Yet another, not for my left hand which is doing better but not 100% yet.

This is for my right foot. First here are 2 x-rays of my right foot from 22 years ago:

Top View

Side View

I was in bad work accident where both of my feet were crushed by a 5,000 lb. motor generator. I really don't want to get into how this happened nor go into detail about what transpired next. But note the location of most of the hardware in both x-rays. A lot of work was done in this area. After a large number of surgeries including skin grafts, this area never completely healed. A couple months later a bone infection developed. So I went back into the operating room where doctors scraped out the dead bone. After the operation, I could look right into my foot and see bone in a 1.5-inch diameter of flesh :) I also spent another month in the hospital on antibiotics. The wound eventually healed and the skin graft took. However, a depression/void remained in this foot where the bone infection was.

In 2008, I noticed a bump had formed on top of the foot next to the bone infection. My podiatrist said it may be new bone forming but nothing could be done due to risk. If it was operated on, there's a chance it wouldn't heal again but this time I could lose my foot. (Yes initially I was close to losing both feet). This bump has continually grown off and on since and the area would aggravate with pain.

About 1 month ago, the bump began growing again but this time it brought about more pain. I'm used to living with pain so I really didn't think too much of it. Two weeks ago I went back to my podiatrist for a checkup but also to inquire about the bump. The pain was getting worse. She gave me a silicone pad to protect it because it was rubbing up against my shoe. Last Thursday, I called L&I asking how I could go about getting a 2nd opinion of my foot due to the increased pain. That Friday, based on recommendations by several people I contacted an orthopedic business that worked with L&I. They agreed to take a look at my foot. But first, they needed my medical records. I've kept my own medical records plus x-rays of my feet throughout the years. Well before I gave up my x-rays I began scanning them on my computer (hence the pictures). As I was driving to orthopedics, the pain was so intense that several times I had to pull off the side of the road and take my shoe off due to swelling. So limping all the way, I gave them my medical records. Then I went to work but only stayed an hour. I stayed off my foot the remainder of Friday and all of Saturday. I noticed this bump not only has grown upward, but now it's growing outward. I'm not a doctor, but imo, the bone mass is trying to fill in the void left by the bone infection. Right now, it's 3/4-inch in diameter and about 3/16- to 1/4-inch high. But I've been told it could also be a restricted blood vessel or calcium deposit.

I've been waiting since Friday for the call so I can see the orthopedic surgeon. I'm sure they'll order new x-rays. I've been so eager that it's not even funny. My foot has been in a lot of pain and it is creeping up my ankle. I am now getting these sharp pains as well. Although my foot has never felt "right" since the accident, it really doesn't feel right now, :D Plus I can no longer tighten my shoe even just a little due the bump and swelling.

It took a long time to get over this and move on. But I finally did. Dealing with this has brought back a lot of memories of what happened. Once again, I'm dealing with it. I'm stronger this time and not really complaining but it has definitely taken its toll & has caused unwanted stress. I've stayed positive throughout and have been praying each day. I am off from work for now so I don't have to wear a shoe. I prop my foot up whenever I can.

Today I spoke with orthopedics and the medical records are still being reviewed. I guess they have a lot to look at :)

I ask for your prayers for pain relief as well as to see an orthopedic surgeon quicker.

Thanks,
Ed

PS, I would post gory post surgery pictures but some may lose their lunch. Plus the pictures would go viral :)

Here's an update on my foot. I saw a doctor yesterday and had new x-rays taken. Here's one part of the conversation which struck me as funny. Note this was before he actually took a look at my feet & was only viewing the x-rays:

Doc: "So which foot feels the worse?"
Me: "Well my left foot looks the worse but my right foot has always given me more problems."
Doc: "Yeah I can tell that just by looking at the x-rays."

The only thing the x-rays really showed is that a heavy case of arthritis has set in. Where there should be clearly defined bone structure, it's cloudy. I expected to see new bone had formed but that didn't show up. The doctor said I could have a tumor growing on top of my foot. I'm having an MRI tomorrow morning then seeing another doctor on Friday.

Thanks for the prayers.

Back