Old Newbie advice request

janc

I recently tried getting back into GW, but so much has changed that I can't seem to get restarted. I tried starting up in the Eye of the North area, but I keep getting pummelled solo, even with the beginning quests. After some failed attempts at soloing I ended up giving up, but I'd like to get back into the game.

Are there any experts that could give some good tips on how to get restarted in the game and get used to some of the new content? I have a level 20 necro and ranger, then miscellaneous other alts.

By solo, do you mean JUST yourself. Or are you bringing along henchmen/heroes? Even basic henchmen should be able to keep you alive and kicking in the starter zones. However, if you're just going off by yourself, you'll never be able to do anything.

I have some heroes, but still seem to be having trouble. I've been away long enough I honestly don't even know what a good area to hunt in would be any more.

What is your in-game name(s)? Are you in a guild? Maybe some of us can come do a run or two with you.

I'm in SoE (at least on my main) - my main character is Aidan Swiftbow (level 20 R/W).

I may do some research and see if I need to improve my build as well.

EoTN took some getting used to for me as well. It is a drastic change. Welcome back though! :)

Yeah, that's the area giving me trouble...think I'm gonna go back and do some of my outstanding quests in the early areas. I notice my ranger had a signet of capture on him as well, but can't remember what it was for. :p

for capturing elite skills from a boss - in your case, from a ranger boss

One thing I noticed in looking at builds is that a lot of them are built around elite skills. Looks like I'll be spending some time capturing some of those. I mainly want to work on my ranger, necromancer and ritualist:
Ranger: Barrage and/or Incendiary Arrows
Necro: Aura of the Lich or Order of Undeath (I like minion master builds)
Ritualist: Signet of Spirits

Thanks for all the input...I'm sure I'll be asking questions in game. :)

SoS Rit is so much fun - I just started one this year and it has been a great time. Quick to 20 - made it to 240k as a survivor - great for soloing with heroes.

If you have cash you can buy an elite tome and get the elite you want. Although, some of the elites are not that difficult to capture. SoS is one that is not that difficult - if you have made it to the forests in Factions.

I'll look into the tomes...I thought tomes could only be purchased for skills that were already unlocked on the account.

If it's easy to capture, I'll go try that for SoS, though...seems like a fun build.

I just got to Kaineng today, so I'll need to work my way to Echovald Forest to capture this skill.

. Although, some of the elites are not that difficult to capture. SoS is one that is not that difficult - if you have made it to the forests in Factions.

Well, most elites aren't difficult unless the boss isn't a guaranteed spawn, such as some of the ones in Prophecies, other than that most of them aren't that difficult, are cheaper than tomes and give a decent chunk of experience.

Just curious which SoS Rit build you were using? Because I noticed about three on the builds wiki page.

Woohoo, I'm getting the hang of things again!

I have one more skill to get to complete the build I want, and I'm farming Kurzick faction to get it (along with the armor I want...need some rare materials). Already captured the elite skill i wanted. This spirit spammer build is a blast.

I'll need to tweak some of my other characters' builds now to get them up to speed. :)

Last edited:
Back