Nintendo DS gaming

Wh1te Out

Moderator's note: Copied post from Nintendo DS Friends Codes List thread in order to get some conversation going and not disrupt the Friends Codes List.

Resurrecting this thread. I've re-discovered the DS lately (after I went and gave mine away to my daughter, of course) and am realizing that this little handheld may just be the key to my adult gaming addiction as I get older and busier and have less time to sit in front of a PC or console. Anyway, I'm trying not to play too many things at once this time around. I'll likely finish LoZ at some point (never did) and other than that stick to RPGs for the most part unless someone truly wants to play something with me on a weekly basis. Let me know... I love this system, and will replace my old one with the DSi whenever it gets to the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've re-discovered the DS lately (after I went and gave mine away to my daughter, of course) and am realizing that this little handheld may just be the key to my adult gaming addiction as I get older and busier and have less time to sit in front of a PC or console.
Exactly.

Even with the recent release of Left 4 Dead, I probably spend as much time playing my DS as playing games on the PC.

If you're into RPGs, Chrono Trigger DS is a must-own--especially if you never played CT on the SNES or Playstation. CT regularly ends up in the #1 slots on fans' "top x RPGs" lists.

I recommended Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (a light-hearted RPG) to Elihu and he later told me he really enjoyed the game.

If you're interested in multiplayer, the DS has several excellent puzzle games (though, unfortunately, no word of a re-release of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo yet). Elihu and I have played Planet Puzzle League online and enjoyed it. PPL is essentially Tetris Attack with touchscreen controls--which is as awesome as it sounds. Tetris DS also has wi-fi play, but isn't really suitable to truly competitive play due to a few core flaws (e.g. infinite spin). Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary is possibly the best Puyo game collection ever, but, unfortunately, has yet to (and probably never will) see a US release.

That's exactly why I enjoy it as well - good for a quick game fix on the go as well. I carry it to work with me, too, and play on my lunch break sometimes.

One game I really enjoy is Rune Factory...basically Harvest Moon with an RPG twist added to it for a break from the farming (adds some dungeon crawling, etc.).

That's exactly why I enjoy it as well - good for a quick game fix on the go as well. I carry it to work with me, too, and play on my lunch break sometimes.
I used to do that at my last job. Tetris DS can be a welcome relief after handling mind-numbing (from boredom, not challenge) tech support calls all morning.

I've played about half of Chrono Trigger, but will be getting it for the DS as soon as I finish Final Fantasy III (which could take awhile). I'd forgotten how much I love the "old" RPG design, where grinding was necessary and things weren't quite as complicated. Rune Factory sounds interesting. I'll read more on it. I've played Mario & Luigi already, and Puzzle Planet League I might pick up cheap to play just with some of you.

If you haven't yet heard about it, check out this article & video of a game coming next year called Scribblenauts. Looks absolutely amazing!

I also failed to mention that I have Disgaea, despite putting in over 200 hours on my PS2 save file, and will get Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for sure. I LOVE strategy RPGs.

The system just rocks. I, too, have been playing on lunch breaks. Perfect.

I also failed to mention that I have Disgaea, despite putting in over 200 hours on my PS2 save file
How do the PS2 and DS versions compare? I consider myself something of a RPG historian and have decided, after reading several articles and "top x lists" that playing at least a few hours of Disgaea is important for my RPG education.

Same goes for Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSX.

You can't play for just a few hours. It is impossible. The story is a little iffy for some Christians. I mean, you're a demon, and an angel comes down to assassinate you but you kinda fall in love and ... yeah... but the gameplay in addictive and the storyline is funny as heck. The game has endless possibilities because every single item can be leveled up, and your characters have no level cap. You can get them to level 2000, reincarnate them at level 0 with increased stats and start all over again.

FF Tactics is awesome, too. They both are just a really special genre that can suck the life out of you. Definitely should be played.

The story is a little iffy for some Christians. I mean, you're a demon, and an angel comes down to assassinate you but you kinda fall in love and ... yeah...
The Japanese don't view angels and demons in the same context as Americans, so I don't think the game was meant to be blasphemous. Still, Disgaea is likely another in a long list of games I would recommend to friends who know my views on faith and religion and can put the recommendation in context, but wouldn't recommend to strangers for fear of being misunderstood. One of my favorite RPGs of all time fits neatly in that same category of games.

The idea of a portable RPG is very appealing, since playing a great RPG on a handheld is the closest thing to curling up in bed or on the couch with a good book on a gray winter day.

Back