New Maps...and Custom Map Game Night = when?

Shagz

Hey guys,

So I've gotten a few notices that people want to switch up/add to the map rotation on the server, so I'm soliciting the community for suggestions of good, quality community maps to add, as well as suggestions on what to remove (some people said they're sick of Toy Fort).

Let us know what you've played or seen recently and would make a good addition, and we'll organize a custom map night sometime in September.

Cheers!
Stephen/Shagz

This is the current map list...

cp_fastlane
pl_goldrush
ctf_mach4
cp_gravelpit
ctf_turbine
cp_dustbowl
ctf_freezers_v2
cp_granary
ctf_impact2
cp_toy_fort_beta2
ctf_2fort
cp_well
ctf_chaos
tc_hydro
cp_labor
cp_badlands

...plus all the new maps (Steel, Basin, the arena maps) that came with the update yesterday. We're (the admins) are thinking of removing Toy Fort and Freezers.

Hm. I haven't played in freezers yet.

I tried toyfort one day when the server was empty. It seems like there are really too many spots where it'd be easy to set up a SG blockade (meat grinder, really) as there are only 2 ways thru any area. Most of the bigger maps seem like they have at least 3, sometimes as many as 5 passages around, just to make sure there are always ways to sneak thru. Getting caught in a meat grinder isn't much fun.

A few of maps I've played on and enjoyed a lot are ctf_moonwalk, cp_egypt, ctf_geothermal, pl_dustbowl_b4, pl_dynamite2, and cp_impact2.

@Durruck: Toy Fort's good for smaller player loads, but once it fills up it, it can get pretty spammy.

@Bakey: awesome, thanks for the list, will go and grab those and have a look.

Another suggested map: cp_mof_a5

It's a 3 stage CP map in the mode of Dustbowl, but feels a little more "open" (sniper's delight) in some areas, tight in others, and more than one route from point to point. I've only plaid stage one on a server and it was pretty fun. Don't know about the other two stages yet.

Me and Gerbil looked through some maps in another thread recently.

I suggest trying out CP_Bloodstained, CP_Starship_B_3, and CP_medieval_siege_b21.

Didn't we try Desert Fortress before? It got struck down because we didn't have enough of a player count to really try it out, I think.

And I remember Junction as a really bad, defense favoured CP map. There was one control point, the 2nd one I think, that was a meat grinder for the sentries.

Anyways, we really should get going on this.

Let's go with the following:

cp_egypt_v2
ctf_moonwalk
pl_dynamite
cp_mof
cp_woodshed_b2
cp_bloodstained
and of course, cp_rocket :D

Can someone do me a favour and compile those into a big zip file for people to download ahead of time?

Now, *when*? I suggest next Tuesday evening, Sept 16th. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Ok I think I did this right. I hosted the files on a site. The link below has each map individually compressed, if you want to download it that way. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9f1e493f951b365dab1eab3e9fa335ca5bef9b297f9ca3de

OR

You can go to the link below and there is 2 compressed folders, 1 with 3 maps and 1 with 4 maps.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9f1e493f951b365dab1eab3e9fa335cafd0cb8c4bba54c25

I guess all you have to do is extract the files and then drag them into your map folder for TF2.

Hopefully it works. :D

Does anyone in the chapter have a crazy fast upload on their home connection?

All six maps, uncompressed, total 257MB. That will take a while to upload to the server on a standard home broadband connection, so we might want to designate someone with a super-fast upload to FTP the maps to the server.

Last edited:
@Tek: I have no problems uploading the maps...they're already on the Game Server in fact, I just haven't put them on the Map Redirect Server yet. (EDIT: well, mof and moonwalk v1 are, I'll update them later tonight)

Thanks Slalom for putting the pack together. Hope it's not too big of a deal, but any chance you can recompile it with the updated ctf_moonwalk and cp_boulder that Tek mentioned? Actually, just wait on that...see note to Annath below.

Complete list:

cp_egypt_v2
ctf_moonwalk_v2
pl_dynamite
cp_boulder
cp_woodshed_b2
cp_bloodstained
and of course, cp_rocket :D

@Shadetacker...sure, would love to put a CTF map in there, got a suggestion? I can put Geothermal in, but when I looked at it it seemed really too big for our player counts. Thoughts? Also, I goofed with the list, it's not "cp_moonwalk" but "ctf_moonwalk". (For those who have looked at it, the texture set really reminds me of Q3F)

@Annath: hey, we need to test your map out, happy to oblige. :) Post back in here, and in the other Rocket map thread when you have your new version compiled and I'll get it on the server.

Back