New forums-wide limit of 100 pages (1,000 posts) per thread

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I'm instituting a forums-wide limit of 100 pages (1,000 posts) for all live topics, effective today (July 28, 2011). This will affect very few threads (the Word Association threads and the CGA General Forum Introductions thread are the only threads that come to mind).

Since vBulletin, to my knowledge, does not include a "close thread after x number of posts" feature, I'll be relying on moderators to close threads when they reach 100 pages.

Word association curtailed?:eek: Noooooooooo, Nooooooooooooo anything but that.

The word association was only 47 pages for me though.... :D

Tek just hasn't expanded his posts per page :D

The word association was only 47 pages for me though.... :D

Tek just hasn't expanded his posts per page :D
Well, I was thinking of threads that would eventually reach 100 pages. You know me, always planning ahead.

The only thread on the forums that passed 100 pages (that I know of) was the SoE/SOE Main Word Association thread, with 185 pages. There may have been some previous "mega-threads," but I believe they've long since been locked and a new iteration started.

I think what Joshinator is talking about... there's a setting in the User CP:

Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.
Number of Posts to Show Per Page:(dropdown box - forum default, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50)

If you change it to say... 30 posts per page (instead of the default 10), there would only be ~61 pages in the Word Association thread.

I find this an outrage to all spammers.

I hereby seek justice and call on the name of all things wordy and text wall like and invoke the name of Gilga!

Well, I was thinking of threads that would eventually reach 100 pages. You know me, always planning ahead.

The only thread on the forums that passed 100 pages (that I know of) was the SoE/SOE Main Word Association thread, with 185 pages. There may have been some previous "mega-threads," but I believe they've long since been locked and a new iteration started.

Even that 185 page one was only 47 for me....fyi

This is an outrage. I'm going to write my Senator! Congress! Obama, even!

Sounds dandy.

Writing Obama wont help. He'll see you actually mean to further the interest of the free American's and discard it as a joke.

Sorry... Had to add that after keeros post :D

Agh Tek I was going to make a "Post if you find me adorable, handsome and smart" thread but since you put up that limit I guess I won't :( ... :p

I find this an outrage to all spammers.
Good thing I'm not an elected official then. :D

I hereby seek justice and call on the name of all things wordy and text wall like and invoke the name of Gilga!
The difference being that Gilga will write one post with 10,000 words rather than 10,000 posts with one word each. The forums seem to handle walls of text better than mega-threads.

Even that 185 page one was only 47 for me....fyi
The issue isn't with the number of pages so much as the number of posts. The Word Association thread in the SoE/SOE Main forum had 1,851 posts before it was closed. There's evidence that threads that large slow down the forums as a whole.

Again, the only thread on the forums that ever reached 100 pages is the Word Association thread in the SoE/SOE Main forum. The next thread that will likely hit the limit is the Word Association thread in CGA General. 99% of all threads won't get anywhere close to the 1,000 post limit.

Agh Tek I was going to make a "Post if you find me adorable, handsome and smart" thread but since you put up that limit I guess I won't :( ... :p
We'd just have to start a "Part x+1" thread any time the current thread hit 1,000 posts. :)

The difference being that Gilga will write one post with 10,000 words rather than 10,000 posts with one word each. The forums seem to handle walls of text better than mega-threads.

Gilga is a approaching forum deity status like that...

The issue isn't with the number of pages so much as the number of posts. The Word Association thread in the SoE/SOE Main forum had 1,851 posts before it was closed. There's evidence that threads that large slow down the forums as a whole.

Again, the only thread on the forums that ever reached 100 pages is the Word Association thread in the SoE/SOE Main forum. The next thread that will likely hit the limit is the Word Association thread in CGA General. 99% of all threads won't get anywhere close to the 1,000 post limit.

I remember we had a WoW- Redeemed thread that had like 6 or 7 lives. I was forced to break it up when it hit 900 post or so.

I think it was "The person below me" thread.

I remember we had a WoW- Redeemed thread that had like 6 or 7 lives. I was forced to break it up when it hit 900 post or so.

I think it was "The person below me" thread.
Ah, good, good. I'm glad to know the SoE/SOE Main Word Association thread is (probably) the only thread to ever pass 1,000 posts.

Back