Need new speakers.

theapoc

I'm in the market for a new speaker setup. For the past 5 years I've only used headphones, so now for some reason... I want speakers. Anyway, what do you all recommend? And what do you think of these? Price is a major factor. I really have no need for 5.1, I don't have anywhere to put'em behind me...

I have these and I love them. Oh wait, you said speakers?

Well, I recommend headphones over speakers any day. A good pair of cans will beat speakers any day on sound quality, game performance, and versatility (i.e. you can play UT at 3 in the morning without the rocket barrages waking the rest of your house). If you want a really nice pair that will last you several years (and be equally suited to gaming and musical applications) I recommend Sennheiser HD-280 Pros. They're the headphones I use both when I'm dueling in UT2004 and need to hear my enemies coming around the corner, and when I'm playing music live and I need to hear what's coming out of my instrument instead of what everybody else on stage is playing. If I knew when I purchased them that I would be using Teamspeak, I would've gotten the version with the microphone attached, however (the HMD-280 Pros).

However, if you gotta have speakers (and it sounds like you do) then I think the ones you picked out are pretty good. I have a similar set, also by Logitech, and they work well enough. I use them when I'm showing other people something on my computer.

Are you looking for 4.1 or 2.1 setups? For 2.1, if you can still find one, the Labtec Pulse 420s are the best bang for the buck. Sound quality on them is nearly as good as my Klipsch ProMedias, but for a LOT less money. New they sold for $50, but since they are a couple years off the market, you shouldn't pay more than $35-40 for them.

If you can find them, look for the ones without the globular satellites. IMHO, the sound quality of the originals was much better. The Logitech Z-3e is good as well, and has a remote control.

For 4.1, I'll have to say go 5.1 with the Logitech X-530 (about $45) or the 6.1 Logitech X-620s (about $40). If you have roughly $129 to spend, a set of the original Klipsch ProMedias (originally $399, now running about $150) is a great investment, and is fully THX certified. If you get them off eBay, make sure it includes all the cables, as they are not a cheap replacement. The only aftermarket manufacturer I've ever found is MonsterCable, which means you are paying a premium for them.

Good luck in your speaker hunt, let us know what you find. (Best regular pricing on logitech is at http://www.justdeals.com.

I went with the Logitech Z-3e's. Got them for $32 from justdeals.com. Cheapest I could find, but they are refurb (which isn't a problem-I hope). Thank you for your help kraniac and taliesin. I do agree that headphones are superiour to speakers while gaming, but right now I'm only playing DOTA (WC3) and also headphones mess up my hair!

Last edited:
theapoc said:
I'm in the market for a new speaker setup. For the past 5 years I've only used headphones, so now for some reason... I want speakers. Anyway, what do you all recommend? And what do you think of these? Price is a major factor. I really have no need for 5.1, I don't have anywhere to put'em behind me...
I have the 5.1 version of the ones you linked to. They sound very good for the price. They'll never replace the quality of a good set of headphones in games but they're probably the best in that price range. Music and movies sound good on them too.

My computer speakers have been shorting out for quite a while now and I'll soon have a few extra bucks to pick up a new set. Rather than starting a new thread, I decided to bump this one and ask what latest and greatest models would serve me best.

Like apoc, I don't need (or want) anything fancy. I don't have space or the sound card to justify a 5.1 or 6.1 setup (someday, though, someday). I just need the speakers for playing music and gaming.

My computer speakers have been shorting out for quite a while now and I'll soon have a few extra bucks to pick up a new set. Rather than starting a new thread, I decided to bump this one and ask what latest and greatest models would serve me best.

Like apoc, I don't need (or want) anything fancy. I don't have space or the sound card to justify a 5.1 or 6.1 setup (someday, though, someday). I just need the speakers for playing music and gaming.
Here is a good solution for you. They sound great and are priced right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121119

I just ordered the Logitech X-230 speakers from zipzoomfly.com. I'll try to remember to post an update after I receive them and test them out.

Please let me know what you think of them, Tek. I need another set as I am building my wife a gaming PC out of my leftover parts and parts donated by friends.

yeah know its funny..... my speakers are a dvd player that has 4 speakers and a sub that doesnt play dvds anymore but the input feature still works ^_^ and i got it for $5

old speakers are always the best(if they arnt blown), it usually takes several thousand hours to "break in" a speaker to where it will sound its best.

Back