My PVE Tank spec idea

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
Ok I was thinking of something like this Paladin/Void Knight/Champion build for tanking up to level 42 and maybe something like this would be good for level 50.

I've got some leeway in what other abilities I take for DPS/Threat/de-buff counters but Paladin has some serious stuff that happens when you block therefore my idea is to get my block as high as possible.

On block I should trigger...

Martial Shield: Each successful block has a 25% chance of increasing Attack Points by 1. So with all those blocks I could spam Devouring Blow and Catalyze more often AND get pacts (synergy it R my friend)!

Balance of Power: Deals 160% weapon damage back to the attacker on block then...

Tip the Balance: Heals me 100% of Balance of power (oh yes being healed while attacking and being attacked me likey!)

Also Retaliation and Disarming Counterblow both require that they follow a block. If I want I could spec into them to have them heal me some but I think I will use these points elsewhere.

Then to increase my block I've got...

In Paladin alone...
Shield of the Chosen +5%
Stalwart Shield +10%
Aggressive Block +10% for 15 seconds

Plus Champion...

Titan's Strength increases my strength 15% (and every point of strength = a point of http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Block). The 5 points in Champion also get me debilitating Strike and Soldier's Bearing for a little extra DPS.

Plus Void Knight...

Ravenous Strength (this is the big one)
Increases Strength by 5% per application when a pact is gained. Can be applied up to 10 times, lasts 6 seconds.

Supposedly Endurance is the best stat for a tank but hopefully having gift of the paladin and gift of the Void knight maxed will provide enough hp as I plan to stack strength foremost to improve my block. I wonder if you can get it to the point it always blocks o_O. Consider if I can keep the pacts on Ravenous Strength coming in that's a whopping 50% strength buff at ten pacts, that has to generate some serious block enhancement (realistically I think I can manage to keep at least 6~ coming in with pact conversion).

There is also Void Knight's Quality Care: when receiving a heal, you have a 30% chance of gaining a Pact. If this was triggered on Paladin's Tip the Balance it would be so OP so it's almost certainly only triggered by someone else healing you. Still, if I've got a healer, between the pact's generated from attacking, being healed and being hit with non-physical damage I ought to keep the pacts rolling in nicely. Note the wording of Ravenous Strength makes me think the buff is independent of the pact itself so I can spend the pact's themselves on Fusion of the Flesh which heals 30 per pact. Also I got Ravenous Defense for the armor buff and Replenish for a tiny heal on pacts gained.

Originally I was going to go for Impassable Guard in Paladin (it's 10 seconds of block everything every 60 seconds) but since I expect my block to be really high already it would probably not be worth the points. Plus anything past 30 points gives no more extra hp from Gift of the Paladin or Gift or the Void Knight.

I'll probably be using a one handed sword too not an axe or mace as I think they attack slightly faster meaning quicker pact generation.

Seriously Paladin looks to be the class for PVE tanking. I do think my PVE build is dependent on Ravenous Strength upping my block but I see no reason why it wouldn't. I also think pact generation will go down on non-mana using enemies but I think there are enough alternatives to keep pact generation viable. Anyway what do you guys think?

On a unrelated side note: I think VK's Spell Sunder which removes buffs and gives you pacts for them would be a good PVP skill. Not that the build I've listed here is for PVP. I just think most people won't check their buffs often mid-battle and some builds are pretty buff dependent.

Last edited:
I tried out my build and YAY it works! Game may only be ok to me but since I actually figured out something correctly it makes the game for me. It's just neat to watch my stats go from 70 to 103 because of a hybrid build I chose :D .

About the build...

1. Was not thinking about the Void Knight's discharge ability but since I have it I have really nice dps. Trion forum trolls keep calling for nerf on it shhhh be quite trolls :p .

2. Getting only one pact resets the timer on all the pacts you have so though you can definitely keep 10 pacts up it is really finger and timing intensive Oi! I'll be glad when I get more abilities that generate pacts as of now I have to spam pact conversion almost every six seconds.

3. Currently I only have an emergency heal I'll need to do a raid with a dedicated healer to see if it's really as good as I think it is. All the other heals I get come later :/ .

4. Still wondering if I'll be needing to spend points to hold threat or something to remove stun type effects but I'll see.

5. It's a lot nicer than the early Reaver and Champion skills I was testing out before.

I'll post more about it when I get a higher level. I'm currently level 17.

Last edited:
Back