Mumble Shutting Down Saturday, August 25

Aleron

Eh?
From Tek in the CGA main forum (just in case you don't visit there very often :) ):
A while back, I, with input from CGA affiliate leaders and staff, decided to shut down the CGA TeamSpeak 3 Server and make the CGA Mumble Server the sole CGA voice chat server. The decision was not made lightly and was motivated by good intentions: To create One Voice Chat Server To Rule Them All, as I phrased it before.

I chose Mumble over TeamSpeak 3 for many reasons: It's open source, the license is less restrictive, and the Ventrilo users were more willing to switch from Vent to Mumble than they were to use TS3.

I not only examined the evidence before me, I also prayed regarding the decision. At the time, I didn't feel any conviction to not move forward, so I made the call and we shut down the CGA TS3 server.

But recently, I spent several (probably in the range of 10 to 12) hours trying to install Mumble and MumPI (a web-based Mumble control panel and channel viewer) on a new dedicated server supplied by Abba Communications. I was able to get the Mumble server working, but not MumPI. The entire process highlighted Mumble's lack of support for CentOS (the Linux distro we run on the CGA dedicated server) as well as the difficulty of finding current and correct documentation.

In contrast to my 3-night attempt to get Mumble and MumPI working properly, Joshinator installed a TeamSpeak 3 server on Linux from scratch for the first time in a little over an hour.

It's not only technical difficulties that prompted the decision to make the switch: The Forgiven, which previously had a separate TeamSpeak 3 server running on the CGA dedicated server, has agreed to join a unified CGA TS3 server. This was excellent news for me both "professionally" as President of the CGA and personally as I've known Allanon, Neirai, and other TF members for years and I'm really excited about this new development.

I also consulted leaders of other groups that use the CGA Mumble Server most frequently and none objected to the change. Most expressed no preference for either Mumble or TeamSpeak and ensured support for whatever decision I made, which greatly encouraged me.

I understand it's annoying to have to switch back to TeamSpeak 3 after having switched from TS3 to Mumble so recently. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of switching from TS3 to Mumble then back to TS3. I assure you neither change was made without considering the available information or prayer. I also assure you I have no intention to switch from TS3 to Mumble again, especially after enduring such a terrible experience trying to get MumPI working using mostly obsolete, scattered, and incomplete documentation.

Put another way: Rest assured that, failing any dire circumstances, we won't be switching voice chat servers again any time soon, if ever. We will, of course, stay current on changes to TeamSpeak 3 and consider all options when relevant, but I think all of us are ready to stick to one platform for a long while.

The CGA Mumble Server will stay online until Saturday, August 25 to make the transition as smooth as possible and to give Joshinator and I time to update the relevant documents, but the CGA TeamSpeak 3 Server is live at cgalliance.org (default port) right now and the official voice chat server of the CGA.

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46000
I think I've only played SWTOR twice in the past couple of weeks. I hope to get more active now that the Olympics are over.

Back