Mickey mouse goes to haiti

daniel

There is a documentary video I saw last week during my video class. It's called Mickey Mouse goes to Haiti.

In the states, how much can you purchase a walt disney t-shirt? $12?

This corporation (including others) has factories running in 3rd world countries such as Haiti and they charge the labour workers about $0.28/h. By the end of the day they make about $2.88 and about $14.00 at the end of the week.
These people work full-time, 7 days a week and they still don't have enough to feed the whole family, nevermind medication or saving up for a more promising future. These people in Haiti raise their children with coffee and sugar water which is considered standard. There are other factories owned by walt-disney that offer "salaries" 1/3 of what I mentioned above. They work in very poor environments and no one dares to complain or retaliate cause you'll be fired on the spot.
No one speaks up for these people in fear of being threatened and since this form of labour work has been going on for decades, no one seems to care either.
People die in third world countries at a rate of about 1 person every 6 seconds so the next time you go to the walt disney store, disney world or the next hot feature presentation, don't just admire the crews sitting in the office doing something you might want to do for a living but also the millions who sowed your lion king t-shirt you just used as a floor towel.

And there's also the fact that I have to catch these people as part of my job. I understand they want to get away from that place, but it's against the law, not to mention the fact that life won't improve for them as illegal immigrants on the odd chance they do make it over. What can anyone do about it though? You're dealing with an island with no natural resources to speak of, plenty of crime, and a 1 in 8 AIDS frequency. I don't like the idea of how these people are forced to live either, but there seem to be few plausible ideas on how to help.

Back