Marines

Proudfoot

So, I've been trying to figure out why Marines in SC2 seem so much better than they were in SC:BW.

Differences

BW : SC2
Health = 40 : 45 (55 w/combat shield)
Range = 4 (5) : 5
Attack cooldown in seconds = .8333 : .8608
Build time 24 : 25 (x2 w/reactor)

So... free range upgrade and extra health.
Zealots are slower than in BW and lost 10 shield.
Zerglings are faster but attack slower (BW .44 : SC2 .696)

I know they are different games and I'm not saying they are overpowered. I was just wondering why they felt stronger, and now I know.

What do you think? Are all the Tier 1 units well balanced right now?

Last edited:
That's a great question.

Marines are quite strong, and are versatile against most early or mid-game attacks since they are relatively fast, are ranged, and can attack air. I think requiring the supply depot before Barracks was a good choice by Blizzard, since the marines are so strong at that stage of the game vs. Protoss and Zerg.

Zerg I wish did have another early game option to help against Marine rushes and harassment. Perhaps one option would be to decrease the queen cost from 150 to 110 or 125.

Protoss I think are well balanced against the marine, since they have the stalker. it has a longer range than the marine and can kite very well.

I don't think it's a good idea to compare tier 1 units though, because how each race tiers is very different and depends on a number of factors. A better question I think would be if the early game (5 minutes or less, as an example) is balanced.

Back