Linux - the Not-So-Final Frontier

Well gang I've been researching and it looks like WINE is the best bet for STEAM/GW. I'm going to install WINE tonight (I think, and on my VMware PC), and fire off a round of CS just to see it launch.

WINE has a great repository of info for launching CS & CS:S in WINE.

Hey Talon, you may want to look at it again. :D

will do. I'll try it when I get a chance. Its been at least a year since I tried steam with wine.

ALright T & all my Penguin buddies out there...

I GOT STEAM RUNNING ON WINE!!!! I also installed Source too. She is updating as I type. She'll be ready to fire off by tonight. :D

I'll update more as I go. :D

Ok, here's the skinny...

Steam updates, runs, and lanuches in WINE. Source updates, runs, and launches in WINE, BUT she is real sluggish. I am attributing this to the fact the virtual PC Fedora's running on is like bare-minimun on graphics. Once I get a Fedora machine up and running I am expecting better results.

I'll keep ya posted. :D

if you are running fedora inside of virtual pc and then running wine..that's why it's slow. If you are jsut running wine inside of fedora..then it's probably a wine to driver communication issue.

so basically you have a winders machine that you have virtual pc loaded on. Inside of virtualpc you have fedora and inside of that you have wine?

nut shell..... almost... allow me to extrapulate....

WindersXPpro - VMWare VPC - Fedora - WINE (not really an emulator, but is one). :D

that's why it's so slow..an emulator running linux running an emulator.

you need to load fedora as the base os then run wine and see how much better it works.

It's pretty cool what happened today. My Linux Prof. is letting me borrow Partition Magic tomorrow, and is instructing me to use it to create a free partition for FEDORA!!! :D

He hasn't guaranteed anything, however I'm ok if things go bye bye on the HDD. I'll p/u everything too before I do the experiment. :D

Keep my pc in your prayers, he's going to need it. :D

there's a free product out there called gparted(google it) that can change partitions like partition magic can...<G>

It's been googled... but that appears to be a Linux base tool. Unfortunately start'n from a Winders based aspect. However, if I frag it all, I aint unhappy. In fact, I'm kind'a looking forward to fragging my HDD. I've never done it before. LOL

In fact... just to have some fun, I may take my computer apart, and rebuild it to make me feel like I'm putting together a new one. :D

just a small sidenote in the linux windows discussion... bypassing all hate for ubuntu .... lol
there is a new program called wubi that will install ubuntu 7.04 through xp so you dont even need to go through the trouble with partitioning, however you want fedora so my input happens to be semi pointless although fun

It's been googled... but that appears to be a Linux base tool. Unfortunately start'n from a Winders based aspect. However, if I frag it all, I aint unhappy. In fact, I'm kind'a looking forward to fragging my HDD. I've never done it before. LOL

In fact... just to have some fun, I may take my computer apart, and rebuild it to make me feel like I'm putting together a new one. :D
actually it's a live cd..you boot to it and change your partitions(it can resize jsut about anything..including winders) and then bring the system back up..<G>

i love gparted... i just started a+ today and as a fun activity we repartitioned a 1tb drive into lots and lots of different partitions. i truely love seeing xp display drive z through a.

gparted can also be a floppy and is sometimes included in the install of linux distros

Ok guys.... you will probably believe this... LOL

I used gpart and moved around a Winders partition, and installed DSL (please excuse the french) on to it... and I am currently typing from the web browser within DSL (please excuse the french).

I'm on the verge, and I mean like one step away from putting Fedora on the big PC in my bedroom. I'm currently on a very old PC that someone gave me. :D

I'll keep you all informed of the progress, victories & defeats (which I'm hoping wont be any).

GOD BLESS

Ok guys.... you will probably believe this... LOL

I used gpart and moved around a Winders partition, and installed DSL (please excuse the french) on to it... and I am currently typing from the web browser within DSL (please excuse the french).

I'm on the verge, and I mean like one step away from putting Fedora on the big PC in my bedroom. I'm currently on a very old PC that someone gave me. :D

I'll keep you all informed of the progress, victories & defeats (which I'm hoping wont be any).

GOD BLESS

forget fedora. go put pclinuxos on that mahcine

Hmmmmmm ok.... HCS.

Actually whats funny... I was playing with that old PC, and messed up the partition, and Winders disappeared!!! LOL I tried to save Winders, but it was long gone. :D

Oh well... no big loss. :D I'm still playing with that DSL (please excuse my french) trying to tweak it and see how she works. :D

Thanks for the advice, I'll look at the distro tonight. :D

Well I'm running DSL (please excuse my french) and I figured out how to install Firefox. :D

Too cool. I think I need to play with the permissions or write my first script so I can fire it off from just a run prompt. DSL (please excuse my french) doesn't have icons like Fedora or Winders so I'm playing around with that too.

I'm having a blast!!! :D
GOD BLESS ALL!!!

Back