Linux - the Not-So-Final Frontier

Wirl

on to something new...
Well I'm in a Linux class this semester, and I've installed Fedora 6 on my VPC @ home... Friday I will make my first attempt at installing drivers for a Linux box.

I am hoping that these are just the first steps into a much bigger (CS:Source server) world.

:D

for long terms servers you want a Linux version with a long support time..fedora is only 18 months. Centos(rhel) IS 5 YEARS.

AH! However I've recently learned of a darker side to Centos....

I've recently learned that the afformentioned operating system, *ahem* borrowed another version's code and just deleted their code and released as their version.

lol I learned that from a RHCE... it was kind'a bitterly spoken too. :D

AH! However I've recently learned of a darker side to Centos....

I've recently learned that the afformentioned operating system, *ahem* borrowed another version's code and just deleted their code and released as their version.

lol I learned that from a RHCE... it was kind'a bitterly spoken too. :D
OPENSOURCE.

Red Hat FREELY and PUBLICALLY releases their source code on the internet. Centos takes that code..removes all redhat trademarks(in accordance with red hat redistribution guidelines) and calls it centos. There's also two more rebuild distros out there. Redhat is not only fully aware of this but actually encourages it and also accepts bug reports directly from centos. There's nothing shady going on. Anyone who says otherwise is either naive or simply trying to stir up FUD. That RHCE is upset because many folks are going to Centos for smaller projects who can't afford the costs of a RHEL support contract. There's nothing illegal/wrong/shady and the RHCE's characterization is flat wrong.

Also people can purchase one RHEL license (to get support) and use the binary compatible CentOS across several servers. (usually RHEL on development with CentOS on mainstream) because most of the support issues will arise during setup and development.

My VPS has centOS and I use centOS at work. Both are rock solid and work great.

For the most part with linux you don't need to install drivers because they are included most of the time. The only issue arises when a manufacturer puts out a binary blob which has to be manually installed by the user. Don't complain about the OS, complain to the device manufacturers, they are the ones who make device support suck sometimes.

Hey HCS... I know you know that I knew that the code was open. I've always known that. I just thought it was funny that the RHCE was kind'a upset about it. :D

I"ll play with both Fedora and Centos and have a good time doing it. :D

Well... I am posting this on my Fedora 6 VPC. :D

Now I just have to figure out how to adjust the resolution so that I can see the whole screen in one glance. :D

NOW!!! Time to try my hand at downloading a Linux driver. :D

Ok gang... can you run Winders applications on a Linux box? I know FailedShot uses Steam on one, so...

How do you do it?

no its called wine.. its not an emulator its a windows compatablility layer thingy.. i dont use it for steam currently because its pretty complicated i actually run steam on windows.. (ACKKK)
but if u really want to run steam thru wine there are alot of tutorials to go with i just looked one up and did that

that might work... this is from the wine website
Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.
at times it is confusing but its free so its worth it to learn about

Ok gang... can you run Winders applications on a Linux box? I know FailedShot uses Steam on one, so...

How do you do it?

There's a couple of ways. Wine(or cedega) is a windows emulation layer(i don't care what they say it is that's what it does). The other is a virtual machine. Wine/cedega is the way you want to go..<G>

or just do what i would do if i wanted to run winders games on a linux box..dual-boot..<G>

I've had success with cadega but not with steam. I got a few programs to work with cedega (xfire and a few other small programs). I've never gotten anything to work with wine (but then its been a while).

Lately, I've totally been doing VPC to do anything for class or just playing around.

Back