Left Behind?

kingaragorn

Now I don't want to offend anyone, but I've met some people that have read all the Left Behind books and believe that everything in them is going to come true.
Now of course I believe in Revelation and the stuff that will happen, but do you think some people are kind of stretching the truth?
God asks us not to add or take anything away from the Bible and the people I met don't actually use the book of Revelation as the foundation of these books. They look to these books for the truth.

Please tell me what you think, but I'll keep to the book of Revelation.

Not all that we know of eschatology is from Revelation, just the more confusing stuff
biggrin.gif

As for the Left Behind books, they've taken one view of eschatology and turned it into the "popular" view...I don't agree with most of it. I just had a final exam in Systematic Theology that partly dealt with it, so I'd be happy to send you some stuff if you want...too tired right now >_<

happy theologizing
smile.gif

don't forget that Revelations isn't the only book of future events. Daniel and a few others have things that will happen in the future.

Also, God said to not to add or remove anything from Revelations, nowhere does it say the same about the remainder of the Bible.

hmm good point kidan. and hopefully king u aint talkin bout me. now i do agree that not EVERYTHING in LB will happen, but alot of as ive read through are correct interpretations of rev.

I liked the movies, haven't read the books though. I believe N'Lightning is making a LB game.

They have rejected the words of God, so from them shall the words of man be taken also.

Hideous Strenth, CS Lewis
cool.gif

oh and the LB game will probably be some sort of talkie adventure. Bleh...

I WANT TO GUN DOWN HORDES OF THE ANTICHRIST'S EVIL FORCES!!!
mad.gif

oooo Hideous Strength! I liked that book!

I need to get a new copy so I can re-read it. it's been years and years since I have....

i havent read hidious strength yet im on perelandra though. tuff read though im not use to Lewis' style of writing

Pilgrim's Regress was friggin excellent.
So was The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet a very thought-provoking read; Perelandra sci-fi Eden; That Hideous Strength spiritually questioning).
On to topic though...Left Behind's not truly thought-provoking. It's an idea that's happy to think about: we'll be saved from pain and all that and not get the bad stuff and everyone else will. I was reading The Catholic Response to the Endtimes, or something like that. I think it was called RAPTURE. It was good. Debated the points made by several of those who proclaim the rapture idea.
I don't enjoy the idea of making money off an idea of fear and entertainment...and that's exactly what Left Behind did.

yeah i will say it is not thought provoking. i can read 2 chapters in 30 min so its really not though provoking

So you judge difficulty of mental exercising by how fast you can read? If that were the case...then Lord of the Rings was not a difficult book series when I was ten. But it was difficult when I was twelve. ANd difficult when I was fourteen. What happened?

its cuz u werent paying attention to all details
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

One of the great things about the LB books is that they have seemed to make it mainstream. From my experience alot of people are interested in the end of the world.

With the release and popularity of the LB books it makes me think we are actually living close to the end times. Many luke warm Christians that have read the books may see a correlation between what was written in the books and in prophecised (sp) events and hopefully look to scripture for better understanding of what is happening during these times and hopefuly try to get right with God, the same could very easily happen with non-Christians that have read the books.

Theology aside, after reading the first few books, I noticed that each subsequent one was just more of the same. I remember reading the seventh one (I actually have two in my own library) and thinking "the only reason they wrote this was so someone would buy the next one."

Regarding theology, I've read Tim LaHaye's book about Revelation and the end times (I can't remember the title right offhand and it's in a box somewhere now...oh yeah Revelation Unveiled. My impression was that Mr. LaHaye started out with his prevailing belief toward endtimes, specifically that of a pretribulation rapture of the church, and then grabbed what he could out of Revelation to defend it. It would all work out great except there are some glaring discrepancies, even in his own theory (and that's what it is at this point). When confronted with those discrepancies, even in his own work, he gets defensive and basically says "I don't have to explain it, I'm right, and the ones that disagree are pigheaded heretics who can't face the truth." I'd encourage you to read the book..sorta. Yeah, read it, with a Bible handy.

I have to agree with the person (I think it was Ultima Avatar) that says a pretrib rapture is a happy thing to think about. We'll be spared from all the big, bad doings of the antiChrist and his hordes. I don't believe that that's gonna happen tho.

Welcome whitestone glad u could join us.

and yes the LB books do make it so u want to buy the next one immediatly after u finish (for me anyways) but i mean it can be considerd "Christian Material" and its a good read.

Back