June 7th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Instead of Ashes

The LORD has anointed me . . . to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion -- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

-Isaiah 61:1-3 (NIV)

A number of years ago, my mother gave me a little wooden rocking chair, intricately carved by a neighbor who had spent his retirement doing woodwork. When I met him at an art show, I saw the variety and complexity of his carvings and I thanked him for my rocking chair.

What surprised me were his hands, which were gnarled by arthritis. "With such hands, how can he create intricate works?" I wondered. But then I realized that something similar can happen with our lives.

God, the artisan, can craft beauty from tragedy. God can use heartaches and broken dreams. Out of our difficulties can flow comfort and healing for others. If we ask God to work through our pain and we continue to focus on God, God gives us "beauty instead of ashes." As we tell about our experiences, God will help us to be a source of encouragement to others.

Sandi Somers (Alberta, Canada)

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, we give you memories and events that still cause us pain, knowing that you can use them to create beauty. Thank you for your love, your promise of hope, and your peace. We pray for compassion, gentleness, and understanding as we tell others what you have done for us. Amen.

Back