June 5th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Waiting For God

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning.

-Psalm 130:5-6 (NIV)

AT the institute of arts where I am a security officer, I have noticed that some visitors view the art rather hurriedly. They scan the walls of the galleries almost as quickly as they glance at their watches. For example, my favorite painting in our collection is a pastoral landscape by Thomas Moran. A brief gaze at it might reveal only a woods with green trees, beside a pond of calm water on a beautiful day.

However, other patrons take time to observe the heart of the painting which, to me, is the contrasting shades of colors. Grassland and tree leaves vary from sunlit green to dark foliage deep in the woods. The sky ranges from soft to royal blue. Near the center of the background, the sun spotlights bright, fluffy clouds next to dark, gray ones that suggest a possible storm. Taking time to observe the contrasts opens the contents of an artistic treasure.

Similarly, listening to God opens a great treasure. Deep, transforming fellowship occurs when we wait on God while reading the Bible and praying. During these special times, we receive spiritual insights that are given only to those who wait for God to speak to them.

Robert A. Stevens (Michigan, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Creator God, help us to quiet ourselves to wait on you as we read your word and pray. Amen.

Back