June 27th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
How Are You

Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

-Romans 12:13 (NIV)

I am walking and I pass someone I know. "Hi, how are you?" I say. She smiles and nods, but we both keep walking.

These days "How are you" has become more a greeting than a question. How often do I stop to receive an answer? In fact, it has become so routine that the answer is usually "I'm fine" or "Good." I know there have been times when I have certainly not been "fine," but I have responded that way simply because it was expected. We really don't expect an answer, do we? Who wants to hear about problems, anyway? We really don't have time to listen; we are busy, almost always in a hurry. But in the process, people are forgotten and ignored.

I'm making a conscious effort these days to pause and really talk to people. I'm trying to remember that people are more important than keeping my schedule or finishing my to-do list. God always wants to know how we are doing, and God always listens when we make our feelings known. I think God wants us to do the same for others. So the next time you ask someone, "How are you?" listen to the answer and respond in a way that shows God's love.

Amy Treece (North Carolina, U.S.A.)

Prayer
Slow us down, dear God, so that we can show genuine love for others by engaging them in honest, caring conversation. Amen.

Back