June 22nd, 2005

RED

Good Measure

Read Psalm 103:1-11

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.
-Luke 6:38 (NIV)

WHEN I was a child, my grandparents owned a neighborhood grocery store. My grandmother ran the store. "He gives good measure" was one of the highest compliments she could pay a merchant with whom she traded. In turn, she prided herself on giving good measure to the customers who came into her store.

Like my grandmother, God gives to us in good measure -- and more. God's forgiveness and mercy are given to us abundantly, and God expects us to treat others with goodness and generosity. Since I accepted the fact that God forgives me, I have found it easier to refrain from anger, defensiveness, and resentment when someone treats me badly. I cannot hope to match God's compassion, which is immeasurable, but God has extended toward me unlimited, "running over" mercy -- more than I deserve or expect. Knowing this keeps me from being judgmental or critical and allows me to forgive others, offering them encouragement and nurture instead.
Karen S. Morin (Florida, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Loving God, thank you for your forgiving spirit. As we seek to be more like Jesus, help us to grow in showing mercy and love. Amen.

Back