July 1st, 3005

.se3ker.

Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it.

-1 Corinthians 9:24 (NRSV)

WHEN I go back to my mother's farm, I gaze out across the fields looking for my dad on his tractor. But he is no longer there. Neither can I see my grandparents nor my great-grandparents who once farmed the same land. Yet I sense their presence. They are all there, with their example of hard work, faith, and perseverance. I take comfort in knowing that they followed God faithfully.

Something like this is true in our life with God. The Bible says we are surrounded by the examples of people of faith who lived before us. Our spiritual forebears ran the race of faith, their eyes on Christ. Like them, we are to run our race with perseverance, day after day.

We can take comfort in the faithfulness of those who have gone before us. Let us not grow weary or faint-hearted. As we pattern our lives after those witnesses -- Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Esther, Joseph, Huldah, David, Daniel -- we share in their work of passing on the faith.

Linda Adams (Illinois, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Dear God, remind us that we are surrounded by the examples of those who faithfully followed you. Help us develop a daily walk with you. Amen.

.seek.

Back