July 14th, 2005

.se3ker.

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

-Psalm 119:11 (KJV)

WHEN I was a child, memorizing Bible verses was an important part of Sunday school. I learned my first verses -- from Psalm 23 -- when I was in the first grade. Then I memorized Psalm 100. Every year we reviewed the verses we had learned earlier and added one or two more. This way I memorized several psalms, the Christmas story, the Easter story, the Beatitudes and the Ten Commandments. Sometimes I am surprised that I know as many Bible passages as I do.

I did not realize how important these verses would be in my life. I am grateful that my parents listened to me as I recited the verses, prompted me when I faltered, and praised me when I succeeded.

In the more than 50 years since I was a child in Sunday school, I have had many opportunities to recall these verses; often I repeat them to myself. When I am unable to sleep, when I am sorrowful or scared, hurting or in danger, the verses bring me comfort and a strong connection to my heavenly Father.

Mary Jane Kaniuka (Maine, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Dear God, thank you for the Bible and the comfort and help its words give us. Amen.

Back