July 10th, 2005

RED

Stay on the Path

Read 2 Corinthians 1:3-11

Praise be to . . . the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
-2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NIV)

THE view from the top of the mountain was breathtaking. But a little sign that read, "Stay on the path -- life at the top is fragile," captured my thoughts. I bent down to take a closer look at the growth near my feet. That sign was absolutely right! There was very little life up there, and most plants were brown and shrubby. It was a striking contrast to the lush, rich, fertile valley I had passed through on my way to the top.

Later, I was struck again by the message. It doesn't apply just to the physical growth at the top of a mountain. It applies to our hearts. We strive to reach spiritual mountaintops, but it is impossible to stay there. Many, if not most, of our days are spent walking through the valleys of life. And yet it is also in the valleys that we grow the most. By leaning on Christ and taking him at his word, we receive comfort during our times of struggle so we can become a source of hope and encouragement to others who are going through similar experiences.
Karen Nadeau (Texas, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Companion God, thank you for the wonderful lessons you teach us as we walk through difficulties in our lives. Amen.

Back