Jedi Academy

SSquared

Just wondering if anyone else has bought Jedi Academy. I got it and have only just started. I admit, I am not expecting a huge difference between JA and Outcast.

Lots of new creatures/people to deal with! Definitely action and Star Wars-ish. Multi-player mode is fun, especially the new siege mode! But for some reason, they got rid of multiple duels within FFA. Now, there can be only ONE duel going on at a time when playing FFA. This destroys features from user made MP maps. There are many maps made with the sole purpose of having different duel rooms or training rooms so you can have multiple going on at once.

Also, there are some unpolished things with the game. I'm having some pretty glaring video issues. I don't know if it's just my machine or what, but I'm able to walk into rocks and see the nothingness on the other side. During in-game cutscenes, my character's hands disappear into himself. I'm currently on Tatooine, which is total desert. Well, when I walk on some tire tracks left in the sand, it changes to the sound of me walking on a metallic surface. These are rather small, but not what I expect from a LucasArts game.

Anyway, I'm probably sounding negative. And that's most likely true. There is a tad bit of disappointment JA isn't something extremely different and unique from JO. But...they sure sprung a surprise on us with this one, and for that I am very grateful and happy. The game is just as action-packed as Outcast, and it definitely has some nice, cool little added extras.

I've got other games I'm working on, so I'll probably set it aside for a little bit until I can finish the others.

typical support question SSquared

are your video drivers up to date?

Caleb,

System Requirements
CPU: 450mhz
RAM: 128 MB
VIDEO: 32 MB Open GL compatible
SOUND: 16-bit Direct X 9 compatible faster required

The game is really nice. I like the new lightsaber stuff (single, dual, or double-bladed once you reach a certain part of the game) and multiplayer seems a lot better this time around. However, the story just plain stinks. Plot development is slow and jagged, and the missions do nothing to add to the story.

Other than that it's a pretty good game.

I am using the latest XP certified drivers which are probably NOT the latest NVidia driver. I think my drivers are from May.

I don't think my driver has anything to do with the hands disappearing. The game lets you choose which race you want to play as. I chose Rodian which has these super huge, long hands. I'm sure all of the cutscenes were probably tweaked to look good for the human player. And so when my long handed Rodian folds his arms, his hands disappear into himself.

It's true the driver could be an issue with walking through the rocks though.

Tasty, the lightsaber stuff is definitely a nice touch.

i dled the demo

blegh

btw everyone get halo
mad.gif
cool.gif

You can switch between 3rd and 1st person. It's just when you use the saber, it's much easier to play in 3rd person. But this is an option you can change or, I think hit the 'p' key.

The graphics on LucasArts games have never been on the bleeding edge. I think they feel you are buying into Star Wars so graphics don't need to be mind blowing. Even so, these are much better graphics than Jedi Outcast. It's still using the ol' Quake engine, I believe.

True about the weapons. Same in Jedi Outcast. As soon as you get the saber, the other weapons are almost useless. But the saber (and their related moves) and the force powers add something unique and different to the normal FPS/Action game. The weapons are best for when playing multi-player.

Well I appreciate you giving it a try. I know you are not really into Star Wars games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 01 2003,6:51)]typical support question SSquared

are your video drivers up to date?

Caleb,

System Requirements
CPU: 450mhz
RAM: 128 MB
VIDEO: 32 MB Open GL compatible
SOUND: 16-bit Direct X 9 compatible faster required
Yes my video driver is detonator 45.23

I've got a Geforce 4 ti4200 now and my 3dmark01
score is around 6000 and without Vsync it's around
biggrin.gif

Caleb, I'm using the Ti4200 as well. Looks great! I'm playing at 1024x768 with most graphic options turned all the way up. I use vsync and stay mostly at 30 FPS. I've also got P4 1.8.

I've got the Demo of Jedi academy and on the tatooin
level i've played it on Jedi knight difficulty and it
seem's to be easier than the Jedi outcast Jedi Knight
Difficulty. Jedi Academy uses some same weapon's as
Jedi Outcast and it seem's like Lucasart's tweaked
Jedi outcast and turned it into Jedi Academy. I think
Jedi Outcast is better than Jedi Academy and one of the
reason's is the AI. I thought the AI in Jedi Academy
would be the same as Jedi outcast, look's like i'm wrong.

If you didn't like the demo, you probably will find the game a little weak. Like you said, it is sort of like a tweak of Outcast. I'm somewhat disappointed Academy is not a big difference between Outcast. I haven't touched the game for about 2 weeks. It's on my plans to finish, but I'm trying to finish several other games first.

Well, I just finished the full game about 5 minutes ago.

Caleb, you are absoutely correct about the A.I. I played the game on Jedi Knight difficulty and it was WAY too easy. The A.I. doesn't hide, flank, or any other cool thing it did in Outcast. This time, they stand there like a rock, stuck in place.

The last 1/3 of the game picks up the action. There are lots of saber battles, and on Jedi Knight difficulty, these can be a little tricky at times. There are some fun puzzles in the game too.

The story this time around is meaningless for most of the game. Many of the missions have absolutely zero to do with the story and add absolutely nothing to the storyline.

The graphics are definitely the best yet in the Jedi series. It is definitely cool to choose your saber type. I chose to have two sabers. But, once again, this choice doesn't really come until much later in the game.

If the whole game had been like the last 1/3, it would have been a terrific game.

There is a cool new siege mode for multi-player. It's objective based tasks that must be completed. Now...that is definitely fun. Unfortunately, the game has just 3 siege maps.

I'll be writing up a review of the game for CCGR.

Back