January 29, 2007 - How Long Can You Last?

Genesis1315

Ladies
How low can you go?
By John Fischer

If you’ve ever wondered how far God would go to show his love, look in the mirror and wonder no more. We need not look any further than ourselves to find the most shocking and amazing displays of God’s grace. If we think otherwise, it is only because we have not seen ourselves as we truly are.

It has been said and sung many times: “There but for the grace of God go I.” At first this sounds grateful, but such sentiment masks a dangerous pride. It is actually not unlike the statement of a religious leader in Jesus’ day as he looked upon a sinner on his knees who was crying out for God’s mercy. “I thank you, God,” said the Pharisee, “that I am not a sinner like everyone else, especially like that tax collector over there.” (Luke 18:11 NLT) It is a view that focuses on someone else’s misfortune. Someone else is worse than I am. It is much better to be thinking and praying, “Here, because of the grace of God and for no other reason, am I.” I am the only person I truly know about when it comes to sin. I am the authority on the subject.

The Pharisee hasn’t a clue about the sinner – who he is or what he has done. He has no point of reference to judge the man’s life but from his own inflated view of himself. If he had even the slightest clue about his own sin, he would realize he doesn’t have any business making the assumption that the sinner is any worse than he is. The only prayer any of us can pray on the subject of sin is: “Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.” This is the one prayer that sends heaven scurrying.

It is best to steer completely clear of the comparison game. Any attempt to better ourselves at the mercy of someone else’s failure will always bring a twisted view of us and others.

The immensity of God’s mercy is not displayed in what he did for the world, or for someone else. It is not displayed in someone else’s story about how low they were before Christ picked them up (of course, never as low as we would ever go – heaven forbid). Nor is it discovered through some theological understanding or study of the many nuances of his grace. No, the immensity of God’s mercy is revealed finally – and only – in the incredible realization that, lo and behold, it found out the worst of the lot. God’s mercy looked down from heaven and found out me!

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back