It has ARRIVED!

kraniac

w119085614.jpg

Installing now! See you guys in the game!

I saw the thread title and thought some creature from beyond had landed... I was right that bearded guy is defiantly not from this planet! :p

Us poor forum lurkers that can't play it expect reviews now!(whenever you can tear yourself away for a second :))

First impressions:

I have a Pentium 4 3.2GHz with HT, 1GB RAM, and a 256MB Radeon X800 graphics card, and the only way I can get 50 FPS is to run the game at 640x480 on a CRT I've hooked up to my laptop, with all the settings at minimum. But, it does play! So while I'm planning to upgrade so I can max out my FPS at a more standard resolution, it'll do for right now.

The game is fast, faster than UT2004 in terms of movement for sure. It feels Quake-like at first, but the more you play it, the more you notice its distinct flavors. Rockets and Goo are back in a big way. The goo stays around a lot longer and has a larger explosive radius, and a single rocket will one-shot a fresh spawn. The item timings are nearly the same (55 for big armor, 27 for small) but there are now different small armors to collect: thigh pads that give 30 armor, a breastplate that gives 50, and a helmet that protects against one headshot (also gives some amount of armor, I forget how much). The big armor is now the shield belt from UT99. Most of the other guns work the same way. The minigun starts shooting immediately now instead of having a delay, but it does still go through a "wind up" phase where it shoots slower than full speed. The sniper rifle is back and feels like a decent compromise between the LG and the overpowered UT99 rifle. The infinitely abusable shock rifle from UT2k4 has been pared back to balanced. Shock combos do more damage but travel faster and the ball is harder to hit.

The graphics really are exceptional if you can run them, and the sound design is excellent this time around. They keep some of the memorable sounds from the previous games (like flak primary or shock secondary) but give some of the noises some much needed "oomph". The rocket explosion noise has a good bit of bass in it now, which I feel was much needed.

Most of the deathmatch maps that shipped with the game are not very good, but that's no different from UT2004. Standouts in my opinion include Rising Sun, Diesel, and Sanctuary. I haven't played through all of them yet though, so my mind isn't made up.

The one major irritation I have in UT3 is the lack of a "throw weapon" button. It really limits the amount of teamwork that can be accomplished in TDM, and it makes playing with WeaponStay a pain.

Probably the most major change to deathmatch play this time around is that when the player with the double damage is killed, he drops the remaining time as a powerup along with his weapon, Quake 3 style. This completely changes the dynamic of the powerup, as you can no longer suicide-charge into a guarded amp room and take it from a prepared team... they'll just take it back. On the other hand, if you don't prepare yourself well for the amp take, you might as well not guard it at all, and play defensively. I'm not sure if the change is good or bad yet, but time will tell.

Overall, an excellent game that was well worth the money, to me anyway. I haven't tried CTF mode, and I played one game of Warfare/Onslaught. The only comment I have about that is that the new vehicles are better than the old ones-- but they're still vehicles, and I don't like vehicles (just my opinion, different games for different people).

Overall, an excellent game that was well worth the money, to me anyway. I haven't tried CTF mode, and I played one game of Warfare/Onslaught. The only comment I have about that is that the new vehicles are better than the old ones-- but they're still vehicles, and I don't like vehicles (just my opinion, different games for different people).

I agree with everything but the part about vehicles. I like vehicles :D. Hardware wise i'm running an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @2.7ghz, Geforce 8500gt & 2gb ram. I am running the game pretty smooth with good framerates around 80fps at 1024 x 768 with world detail at 1 and textures set to 3. If looking to upgrade your video card I would recommend at least a geforce 8600 or better, although it will run OK on less. My 8500 is my bottleneck to running at higher resolutions with better quality. I could see UT3 becoming my favorite UT yet, as soon as they patch the game with a better UI, which they are supposedly working on.

Last edited:
So far I am really enjoying VCTF. The hoverboard adds a lot to the gametype, making it a lot faster paced. I am really liking the new vehicles too. I would say I am ejoying it as much as DM. :D

Other observations: The sniper isn't toned down nearly as much as they said. It's still an extremely powerful gun capable of taking out plenty of dudes in a short time frame if you're using it properly. The reason it's nerfed has a lot more to do with the player movement: people move so quickly that it's a lot harder to hit people.

The goo gun got a major boost in the weapon ranking this time around. It's much easier to full-goo somebody both at range and point blank, and it seems to charge quicker also. The goo is quickly becoming my go-to gun in tight situations, right behind the rocket launcher.

The point-blank flak effect seems much less pronounced in this game. I've been frustrated a couple of times by how weak it seemed for how many pellets managed to connect. But it's as easy to kill yourself with a misplaced ricochet as ever. Paradoxical.

I think I like the amp-reward feature.

Finally got mine up and running. I really had a hard time installing. On one drive i had XP and it didn't install I got a pack content 5 error and it locked up my pc, it couldn't access something. I then retried to install it again after defrag and still the same error. So I restarted and used Vista on the other drive and it done the exact same thing. I thought for sure I had a bad copy. I searched the web and come up with 2 viable options. Either rename the startup file or put the whole dvd on a harddrive and install from there. I went the harddrive route. It went smooth as silk. I am assuming my DVD is ok now.

I was a little disappointed in the graphics area but the speed of gameplay was awesome. I still have to tweak a little for online game play , I was on 1680X1050 screen resolution when I first played a game with Captn' and I then dropped it to 1024X768 and that helped.
The options hud really lacks a lot compared to the other options but I'm sure with the upcoming patches that Captn' talked about , this UT fan shouldn't be disappointed.
Frag on ToJ!!

For tweaking purposes here's two good links:

UT3 INI Tweaks thread on MyUnreal: This is a collection of INI tweaks to fix common annoyances and improve graphics performance over at MyUnreal, where the LOB forums are. It's collected from snippets of an extremely long thread over at the official UT3 forums.

Defiance UT3 FPS INI: This is a site where you can download a verified, safe INI that includes the most common graphical tweaks to improve framerates. I use it myself, it's pretty great.

Extreme........

Just like Kraniac and Capt. Tea stated, UT 3, along with Crysis, COD 4Pro Street, Area 51 and a few other Loved games, is PURE HAVOC on the Pc, I was Lucky and upgraded about 3 months ago so I am enjoying the game at 1680 x 1050 maxed out, hitting a average FPS of 72, Now if I could just get my ISP to get me a faster connection, LOL, but I can't have it all.
I hope the programming guru's get busy to start adding New customized characters, Maps and good ol' Ucomp for a little personalization to the game, I agree with all, this game is Leaps and Bounds ahead of many games who use the Unreal engine.

My Current Monster:
Intel Core 2 Extreme Qx6850@3.8ghz, 2 gb DDR 3 Ram @ 1333, Asus P5K3 Deluxe Mainboard, MSI NX8800 Ultra Video card, X-Fi sound card, 2x 500gb Seagate hard drives[sata 2], Samsung Dvd rom[Ide] Dvd Burner[Sata 2],Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 watt psu, OS Vista Home Premium, Thermaltake Kandalf Tower, Pc and Video card is Water Cooled, Logitech Z 640 5.1's/Medusa Pro Gamer headset, Samsung 22" widescreen Monitor 226BW:)

Back