Is it just me or does wireless sux?

Killa_s

my dad stuck me on the wireless network and every minute and 3 seconds the thing freezes and lags! Then it keeps going like nothing happened. I called linksys tech support and they said to open up some ports but I doubt that's it because it does the same thing on downloads. I need some other solution besides getting rid of it and I don't think I can run a LAN cable up to my room... any solutions?

sad.gif

I also hate wireless - especially those wireless adapters that come with the laptops....it's nearly impossible to get them configured.

GG HP Laptops...

HP? Ouch gg Dell/Alienware laptops. My wireless doesn't have any problems. It works very well on my dell downstairs and I have no problems with a delay or anything.

Well I have a Linksys wireless network at home and it works great. My uncle just bought a nice new shiny HP with wireless technology built into it. Needless to say, it doesn't work with much of anything...

GG
mad.gif

GO INTEL WIRELESS !!! EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS!!!

I own a linksys WRT54G. I put the custom firmware from http://www.sveasoft.com on it. They give it the functionality of a $500 router for less than $100. I haven't had a chance to play with everything yet, but the extensivity (is that a word) is amazing. I can ssh to the box and get a linux bash prompt (basically I get a command window equivalent to DOS remotely). Just that function was worth the switch.

The linksys wireless G router truely is the epitome of wireless routers.

Now as to your packets dropping and the network dying, it's possible that you're too far away from the wireless access point. What kind of router are you using, and what kind of wireless nic card? Does anything work well at all? Do other computers experience the same problem? See if you can get a huge piece of CAT5 (borrow it from someone) and run that down. That would be a major help if you can see what results that produces.

Also, wireless has an aversion to thick brick walls and steel plates, if you're going through too many of those (1 is too many) then you've got problems. Reposition the router in a nice central location in your hourse.

Cisco bought out Linksys recently. I still have the good ol' original Linksys modem and wireless router.

Que, this custom firmware - have any problems with it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now as to your packets dropping and the network dying, it's possible that you're too far away from the wireless access point. What kind of router are you using, and what kind of wireless nic card? Does anything work well at all? Do other computers experience the same problem? See if you can get a huge piece of CAT5 (borrow it from someone) and run that down. That would be a major help if you can see what results that produces

I have a linksys wusb11ver 2.6 wireless usb adapter and a befw11s4 version 4 linksys router.

the connection strength is excellent and it goes through one floor and two walls. The connection stays connected and the strength never drops it just seems to pause. I dunno what the problem is but could it be the usb adapter? If I got a pci adapter could it work better? I'm totally lost and we can't run a LAN cable because my dad doesn't want wires all over the place
sad.gif

my dads is connected directly to the router and he gets excellent if even better performance then we did with our old router. It's not fair o_O

It might be the USB, I'd only use pcmcia or pci.

Elite: That firmware is utterly awesome, and works perfect.

aight I'll go complain to my dad and try to get a pci wireless thanxs for the input and will that firmware work for a wefsb11s4?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheElite @ Feb. 27 2004,10:26)]Wireless NIC's only come in PCI format...that I know of?
i've seen them in usb and serial formats as well.

of course they were external nic's

Back