In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus ...

Marcylene

http://www.Titus2MenAndWomen.org/cgi/Devotions/MugMan.cgi.

Thanksgiving....
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; Ephesians 5:20

As we move toward that time of the year when we reflect on God's goodness to us and are reminded to be thankful for all, I always get into trouble. I am afraid that I get too complacent. Yes God is good to me and yes I am thankful....but what am I thankful for?
In the book "The Hiding Place" Corrie ten Boom relates an incident that took place while she and her sister Betsie were in the concentration camp. The first night--as they literally dropped from fatigue to the straw mattresses--they instantly popped up again after discovering fleas in the straw. While Corrie bemoaned this fact her sister thanked God for the fleas. Corrie's last words of the night were: "I will never thank God for fleas."
As time passed those staying in the room with the beds enjoyed certain freedoms there was no explanation for. After they finished their knitting assignments for the enemy they were able to read the Bible, discus it and even sing. No one ever came in to punish them. No one could figure out why. One day there was an argument over the way to do the knitting and they called a guard to come in and settle it. The guard refused saying she would not enter that room. The reason...the fleas!
Every time I read, or think about, this incident I feel so humbled. I am not as grateful as I want to be. I get irritated at the smallest things that can pop up to delay something I want to do. I do not look at every little thing as God's way of showing me something; seldom considering God may have blessings for me that I can't even imagine. I am learning as I age in the Lord that it's the little things to watch for. The little things to be thankful for. I am resolving to be thankful for "the fleas".
--Gloria Wurster

Back