Hunger Games world, everything about hunger games.

Narius

Hunger Games. Good book? Bad book? Not appropriate? Appropriate for what? Film any good/nada? Evil or not evil?

I'd like to see a discussion about this. I've read all these books twice, and on my 3rd time of the hunger games. I saw the movie at midnight. I'm a big potter fan and all things scifi/fantasy naturally. What do y'all think? I have seen a lot of people describing it as evil, profane, and glorifying violence. I'd like to see your opinions, as whether we christians should have a problem with it or not, and other things.

Nice and friendly and encouraging discussions please...

I loved the book, thought the movie was fantastic. I was really amazed how close many scenes were to how I had envisioned them. I personally did not have any issue with it, I am not sure I would let one of my daughters see it till around 14, about the time I would let them read Harry Potter.

Obviously a lot of deep themes in the book, not as many made it into the movie.

I can't wait for the next movie!

I loved the book, thought the movie was fantastic. I was really amazed how close many scenes were to how I had envisioned them. I personally did not have any issue with it, I am not sure I would let one of my daughters see it till around 14, about the time I would let them read Harry Potter.

Obviously a lot of deep themes in the book, not as many made it into the movie.

I can't wait for the next movie!

I started reading Harry Potter in the 1st grade, completely devoured them. I love Potter. I love the books, and the movie. The movie itself was very very close to the book, thanks to having Suzanne Collins help write the movie. She won't be there for the next one though. : /

There are a lot of deep themes, tough themes. But she hit them hard and well.

I enjoyed the books to an extent. They aren't near the top, but they aren't near the bottom (I'm looking at you The Dragon Bone Chair). They were well done books.

Movie was also good. Not perfection, but as a man on an obscure web forum once said, "If you live life expecting movies based on books to get everything right, you are living for complete disappointment."

By the way, in the game maker scenes (the white room) you can see friends of mine acting as game makers. :D

I enjoyed the books to an extent. They aren't near the top, but they aren't near the bottom (I'm looking at you The Dragon Bone Chair). They were well done books.

Movie was also good. Not perfection, but as a man on an obscure web forum once said, "If you live life expecting movies based on books to get everything right, you are living for complete disappointment."

By the way, in the game maker scenes (the white room) you can see friends of mine acting as game makers. :D

Really Josh? Which ones? lol. I thought the game makers scenes were interesting. Good to see their side

I enjoyed the books to an extent. They aren't near the top, but they aren't near the bottom (I'm looking at you The Dragon Bone Chair).
Now don't go picking on Tad Williams. He tends to start out with a great concept (I preferred Otherland to the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, though) and then stretch the story too thin across too many characters and too many settings. Williams certainly isn't the only or even the worst offender. Yes, I'm talking about George R.R. Martin and A Song of Ice and Fire. Not even going to put that one in parentheses. Robert Jordan, may he rest in peace, was among the worst of the worst in that regard, which is a shame, because the first three books of A Wheel of Time were superb.

As for Hunger Games: Haven't a clue. My wife has read the first book and is reading (has read?) the second. I'm not terribly interested in them. Most sci-fi pales in comparison to Asimov and Silverberg. Most fantasy doesn't even begin to compare with Tolkien and Lewis. I know no one's suggesting otherwise, but it's hard to get motivated to read pop sci-fi/fantasy when I'm behind on the classics.

Man, I sound like a literary elitist. I guess it's my own fault for reading Lord of the Rings when I was in seventh grade (and apparently understanding it more clearly than Peter Jackson).

Now don't go picking on Tad Williams. He tends to start out with a great concept (I preferred Otherland to the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, though) and then stretch the story too thin across too many characters and too many settings. Williams certainly isn't the only or even the worst offender. Yes, I'm talking about George R.R. Martin and A Song of Ice and Fire. Not even going to put that one in parentheses. Robert Jordan, may he rest in peace, was among the worst of the worst in that regard, which is a shame, because the first three books of A Wheel of Time were superb.

As for Hunger Games: Haven't a clue. My wife has read the first book and is reading (has read?) the second. I'm not terribly interested in them. Most sci-fi pales in comparison to Asimov and Silverberg. Most fantasy doesn't even begin to compare with Tolkien and Lewis. I know no one's suggesting otherwise, but it's hard to get motivated to read pop sci-fi/fantasy when I'm behind on the classics.

Man, I sound like a literary elitist. I guess it's my own fault for reading Lord of the Rings when I was in seventh grade (and apparently understanding it more clearly than Peter Jackson).

This made me lol. You should really try to read them, they were wrote very well and are worth it. It'll draw you right in. I haven't read a wheel of time yet, nor anything George R.R. Martin. I have, of course read everything Tolkien and Lewis. I really enjoyed the LOTR movies and can't wait for The Hobbit late this year, myself.

Due to the explicit elements in Martins works, I would not ever recommend them. Reading reviews on amazon convinced me not to. When pagans feel dirty after reading a book, then it must really be bad.

Just thought I'd add that :D

Due to the explicit elements in Martins works, I would not ever recommend them. Reading reviews on amazon convinced me not to. When pagans feel dirty after reading a book, then it must really be bad.

Just thought I'd add that :D
Agreed. The sexual themes and violence aren't the only reasons I would advise against reading A Song of Ice and Fire, but they are near the top of the list.

Which is unfortunate because Martin is a talented writer when he's not trying to push his "RELIGION IS BAD AND MORALITY IS RELATIVE, RAWR" worldview with all the subtlety of a mad bull in an operating room. His short story Sandkings is an imaginative and thought-provoking take on the dangers of arrogance.

This made me lol. You should really try to read them, they were wrote very well and are worth it. It'll draw you right in. I haven't read a wheel of time yet, nor anything George R.R. Martin. I have, of course read everything Tolkien and Lewis. I really enjoyed the LOTR movies and can't wait for The Hobbit late this year, myself.
In all fairness, I only saw the theatrical release of the Fellowship of the Ring and refused (and still refuse) to watch any more movies after that. Even if the later films were a significant improvement on the first, FotR was bad enough (IMO) to put me off from watching the other movies.

I'll probably read Hunger Games as a break from heavier stuff (Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship is kicking my butt) eventually, but probably not for a while. My reading backlog is (to my embarrassment) not as lengthy as my gaming backlog, but there are several other books I want to read first.

But still, I'm glad to see sci-fi/fantasy that isn't A Song of Ice and Fire get some love in mainstream media!

In all fairness, I only saw the theatrical release of the Fellowship of the Ring and refused (and still refuse) to watch any more movies after that. Even if the later films were a significant improvement on the first, FotR was bad enough (IMO) to put me off from watching the other movies.

I'll probably read Hunger Games as a break from heavier stuff (Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship is kicking my butt) eventually, but probably not for a while. My reading backlog is (to my embarrassment) not as lengthy as my gaming backlog, but there are several other books I want to read first.

But still, I'm glad to see sci-fi/fantasy that isn't A Song of Ice and Fire get some love in mainstream media!

Yes, that is one of the major reasons I can't read A Song of Ice and Fire. The graphic violence, and sexual content, and is there language/drug use? Alcohol use doesn't bother me, I read Hunger Games (Haymitch..).

I do enjoy that the movie is getting such a huge boost in the media and is becoming a huge hit. Since 3/24 it has made $324,330,642 dollars. That is crazy. Except for Avatar. I cant wait to see the sequels.

I actually finished reading the third book last night. I really enjoyed reading this series and the movie was great (sad no Madge, but I guess it doesn't matter where she got the pin). All the underlying themes make me think this should be a tween and up book. To me, it was a story about a girl just trying to figure out her role in the world with bits of violence and romance thrust in there. I was happy that the way I wanted it to end happened, but it also happened so suddenly that I'm not sure how about I feel about it yet.

Haven't read the books and haven't seen the movie. More than likely, I'll see the movie and then determine if I want to read the book.

I try to space out my reading of books with decent gaps of time in between because I have a tendency to get entirely absorbed in them (fiction). I actually get more absorbed in books than in television or gaming. Something to do with seeing the scenes in my head, I suppose.

I have a tendency to stick with authors I like. It is very difficult for new authors to get on my approved list because I don't often venture away from the ones I know. Currently, I'm reading yet another Clive Cussler novel. I do like his writing.

Haven't read the books and haven't seen the movie. More than likely, I'll see the movie and then determine if I want to read the book.

I try to space out my reading of books with decent gaps of time in between because I have a tendency to get entirely absorbed in them (fiction). I actually get more absorbed in books than in television or gaming. Something to do with seeing the scenes in my head, I suppose.

I have a tendency to stick with authors I like. It is very difficult for new authors to get on my approved list because I don't often venture away from the ones I know. Currently, I'm reading yet another Clive Cussler novel. I do like his writing.

I'm the same way, I get so absorbed in books, way more than tv or videogames. I really, strongly recommend Suzanne Collin's writing. The Hunger Games was a great, great book.

I actually finished reading the third book last night. I really enjoyed reading this series and the movie was great (sad no Madge, but I guess it doesn't matter where she got the pin). All the underlying themes make me think this should be a tween and up book. To me, it was a story about a girl just trying to figure out her role in the world with bits of violence and romance thrust in there. I was happy that the way I wanted it to end happened, but it also happened so suddenly that I'm not sure how about I feel about it yet.

That's awesome. Yeah, it bugged me how in the movie there was no Madge, they didn't even cast her family, only her dad. I agree with all the underlying themes..I'm just very grateful Katniss isn't another Bella Swan...

We'll see how the catching fire movie goes. As of now, it appears Gary Ross will not be directing any of the next movies. Lets hope the next iterations are just as good/better. Less shaky cam, same lack of gloss, and LESS SHAKY CAM! The movie story is already written, so that's good... I was happy with how the first movie went.

It wasn't like Eragon, so I am happy.

We'll see how the catching fire movie goes. As of now, it appears Gary Ross will not be directing any of the next movies. Lets hope the next iterations are just as good/better. Less shaky cam, same lack of gloss, and LESS SHAKY CAM! The movie story is already written, so that's good... I was happy with how the first movie went.

It wasn't like Eragon, so I am happy.

I still refuse to watch Eragon because of how terrible I've heard it is. Really? That sucks. I liked Gary Ross' directing. I didn't like the shaky cam. It made it interesting at some points, but not worth it.

Back