How to open forward ports, correctly?

Corpfox

Example:

ID|Trigger Port|Trigger Type|Public Port|Public Type|Comment
1 28800 TCP 2300-2400,47624
TCP MSN Game Zone

2 6112 UDP 6112 UDP Battle.net

This is mainly what my router settings have.

I put them on there for my Starcraft and Diablo since without it, I would keep getting disconnected/locked out from battle.net.

Would the #1 example above work for AoE2?

Trigger Port: 28800
Trigger: TCP
Public Port: 2300-2400,47624
Public Type: TCP

Do I need a space between the comma (,) and 47624? Or what is the right numbers instead of the ones above?

Technically you shouldnt have to forward any ports to play aoe. Sounds like the router firewall is jacked up on high. But here is the list of ports i use to host a game (to be safe, I use TCP and UDP on all of them)

2300-2400, 47624, 6667, 28800-29100, 6073

It sounds like you need a space between them, depends on the router type/brand and firware version.

I remember, something you told me about, ZoneAlarm.

Just noticed now, my router does come with ZoneAlarm Pro.

Would it make a difference seeing how port fowarding did not work for me, OR, adding security due to lag spikes I've been having on the(non-related) CS servers?

Its shows a high number of unauthorized wireless users, using my router...

Sounds like if zone alarm is built into the router, then yes, its probably blocking the ports, you will have to go into the router firewall and allow accpetions for the game executable.

If your router is encrypted, no one but you would be using it.

If your router is encrypted, no one but you would be using it.

But, its not encrypted...

And worse of it all, I'm directly using the cable modem instead the router.

The router could be the cause to AoE2 internet games and cable modem disruptions, seeing how last time, I used the modem directly, and it worked for the AoE2 internet game!

I HIGHLY recommend to encrypt the router. Anyone can get on, people next door, war drivers. They can get on your network, get into your computes, files and file shares. Even if you are on the LAN cable, wireless is still enabled, and wireless uses can see hard wire LAN computers.

I bet thats why your internet is bugging out, other uses using your full internet connection (either download or upload).

I have my router, on 128 bit WPA PSK encryption EAS, Static IP for LAN (meaning no one can jump on network with out the exact IP, subnet mask, Default gateway, and 3 DNS IPS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) Along with the built in firewall.

Last edited:
If you were in my situation, you could of easily fixed the problem.

I want it to work with my wireless PS2(PlayStation 2) and other wireless user's laptops in my home, but I cannot turn on the encryption w/o disabling those wireless usage in my home. Even so, I'd have to change everything from the wireless user's laptops and my wireless PS2(PlayStation 2), which is a real hassle.

PLUS, would it be easier if I brought a newer, updated router/hub, such as a Linksys?

My SMC is a few years old, and the company of SMC does not manufacture(produce, make, build) my router no more.

Ah, ok.

Getting a new router might help, i know there is some routers out there that advertise they are compatable with xbox live and PS2, with encryption.

Back