Hosea 4:6: Lack of Knowledge

Krissa Lox

Hosea 4:6

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children."

Probably all of Hosea 4 can be said to be relate to problems we're experiencing in modern times (though personally I'm not of a view that we're actually suffering from judgement from God, but more from the consequences of reaping things we've sown apart from Him), but it's a real doom-and-gloom chapter to want to post in its entirety.

But the above verse is the key one with the root diagnosis given which contains the action needed to restore hope and positive change.

Lots of things are going on right now, but I haven't yet seen anything that couldn't be addressed by better understanding of God and His Word. To the extent that, while I'm not a big fan of social media myself, out of a difficult mix of sympathy and frustration with seeing so many people getting so worked up about so many misguided things due to just simple ignorance and unwillingness to do some basic, rational research, I find myself having to fight the temptation to want to "trend" a snarky default response of #ReadTheBibleBetter

But at the same time, I also haven't seen anyone who has stayed faithful in taking God seriously being abandoned by Him during this time. That's not meaning to say that no one's experiencing loss - I'm not trying to suggest a prosperity-gospel-ish idea that suffering equates to God's disfavor and absence of suffering means His blessing - but that He's not leaving anyone to deal with their suffering alone.

I don't know what will happen with the world or our country or with churches or local communities. I don't know if the economy we've come to depend on will be restored or transitioned to something else or simply fall apart. Probably the answer to all those depends on whether each of those institutions on their own merits lead people closer to God or away from Him, because that's where His interests ultimately lie.

But knowledge is an individually pursuable thing, as is our own personal relationship with God. We can still have hope and serve God and be a blessing to others even if everything else all crashes down. We can still make a choice to care about the things of God even if no one else arounds us does. As Jesus said of the woman who gave her last two mites, while it may be earthly wisdom to think great wealth has more to offer to God's kingdom, in reality the Lord values faithfulness in poverty even more.

Last edited:
Back