hmmmm

stormy

I'm gonna apologize, even if I'm still not sure exactly why.

I'm still stepping down, but it's got nothing to do with all this. Well, kinda, but not really.

Some background.

Recently? Oh, I dunno how long it's been going on. It seems like forever, but it's been more noticable recently. I've been very sensitive to the fact that there is alot of talking in "church." There's alot of collecting "dues" and making up programs and having special revivals and stuff. I have no prob with that....

But at the same time, I've looked at the "man on the street." I've seen the people getting caught up in the emotion of the moment, having all the people pat him on the back, tell him how great it is that he finally gave it up for Christ, and then left him standing there, never getting to the core of who his is...and drawing him in as a brother.

It eats at me. It burns me up, and yes, I will admit. I DO get overzealous.

So, on that note, I want to apologize to Rizz and whatever leadership split I caused (I have NO idea what that's all about).

I also want to say something else, and it's mostly to Rizz, but y'all get to witness it, because you're going to need to encourage him.

There really isn't anger between us, that I know of. There have, however, been alot of people determining how we relate to each other. Whatever. I know my thoughts. He knows his.

Now, Rizz....

You said "everything I do for God ends up in the scrapheap." It probably does seem that way. It's not really true tho. Remember what the Bible says about about the seeds? There is one who sows, and one who waters, and one who reaps. I suspect the one who sows is the one that has to just look at a muddy plot of ground. He's the one that has to walk away and clean the dirt out from under his fingernails. At the end of the season tho, someone is gonna harvest what you've planted, and you'll see that all those seeds you've planted (and I personally know that there are many) will bring forth fruit, and you'll be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

That goes for all the rest of y'all too. This program IS a good one. In fact, I think it's the best thing that ToJ or CGA has come up with in a long time (which I would have said, if ever asked). That's the absolute truth.

This is what a community is supposed to be about. In fact, this is what the church...the body of Christ is supposed to be about.

So, Rizz, buck up. You are a sower. I don't know if you don't like that job or not, but you're good at it, and do it naturally. You're an idea man, and an implementation man. Without you, the world would just go on doing the same ol' stuff, getting staler and staler, and we'd all just get bored and go sit and mould some where.

And once again, in case it got lost in this massive post, I apologize for my overzealousness (it'll be good for something someday).

I dont want you to step down..

thanx for the post, however..This past event has been a time for me to show my quality, and i was found lacking.

I still havent made up my mind as to what im gonna do yet. You will have my decision at about 10pm GMT tonight.

As for your post here, it certainly does explain your actions before. Maybe you did it subconciously or something but you saying that has put it all into perspective. And in that i now feel i acted far too harshly.

I have decided. Im going to remain in ToJ. Stormy.. i'd like to get together to chat sometime. probably in irc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Recently? Oh, I dunno how long it's been going on. It seems like forever, but it's been more noticable recently. I've been very sensitive to the fact that there is alot of talking in "church." There's alot of collecting "dues" and making up programs and having special revivals and stuff. I have no prob with that....

But at the same time, I've looked at the "man on the street." I've seen the people getting caught up in the emotion of the moment, having all the people pat him on the back, tell him how great it is that he finally gave it up for Christ, and then left him standing there, never getting to the core of who his is...and drawing him in as a brother.

I understand totally. Having been to your church i know how frustrating it must be. It gets that frustrating in my church and we are always doing stuff.

The main problem is, ppl in church will not understand the concept of the man on the street and his need for god unless you wrap it up in some sort of revival or mission or whatever. They need to see what they are doing. The mission gives someone a purpose and lets them concentrate on the task at hand etc..

Saying that, we are all ministers of the gospel. We are all called to be lights in this world. I struggle often with the fact i cannot get fired up about unsaved ppl in my town. Even on missions and such, i just do it because i know thats what needs to be done. I cant remember the last time god brought me to tears for someone lost.

Still i do what i can. When i see my unsaved friends (of who there are few and infrequent), i always cover myself in prayer and try to be the best representative of God i can. Still i never know if i made a difference or not, i just do what i can.

The percentage of people who leave church is astonishing. And most of that is due to the fact that they came in during some flash in the pan mission and there was no follow up. No family. stormy it is clear to see you are burdened with this. I hope that you stay on with the mentor program. I hope it gives you the opportunity to help people in this way. Giving them a full life with christ not just a one-off-hand-in-the-air conversion.

over 80% of people who become christians do so because of a friend who is a christian. Says a lot right there. Should you wish it i could share some of the things that we do in our church to try and bring people in. We have had a set of seminars on evangelism recently and it gave some very good points. I would be happy to try and dig out the notes.

Ok i went on too much. I just want to try and help. I stuffed it up and i want to do what i can to repair this.

Oh i remembered one thing about the seminars.. it was a kind of homework assignment, but i have been doing it since then..

Simply.. take three unsaved people you know. Write their names down. Then start to pray for them daily to get saved. But dont just pray for them. Create the opportunity. This doesnt mean invite them to church every time  you see them. But build a relationship with them.

The path to being a christian is kinda like a scale..

--------------------------------|---------------------------
-100                                   0                                  100

with -100 being atheist total. 0 being the point of conversion. And 100 being god.

People will be at different stages. But rarely will you get a person who goes from -67 to 0 in one swift move. It does happen, but rarely. If by phoning someone and having a game of tennis with them, and just living as a christian you move them from -67 to -54 then you have done cool. If next time they ask you why you are like that and you tell them you are a christian, you may move them to -51. and so on..

It just shows the relationship side of christianity is by far the most important. Of course none of this is set in stone, i just am trying to illustrate. I hope it gives you some encouragement and ideas stormy.

Back