HL2 Q's

Ultima Avatar

Should I buy the Radeon9600 and have a free copy of HL2 reserved...or buy a Radeon9800Pro and say "Whatevah" to any prospects of an HL2, or WAIT until more deals come out as an actual date for HL2 shipment comes out, and more dealers scramble to get their hands on HL2 deals?

Geez, it's maddening what I have to do while I wait...

And toss in Doom 3 while we're at it. 9800 best for that, or just stick it out with a 9600?

I'd wait till late summer when It "Should" come out, I bought my 9600 pro thinking Id be playing HL2 last september and looking back it was prolly a bad idea.
I would wait till the 6800/x800 start selling and all this genrations cards start going down in price or first time you see a x800 series in the 200ish range.

The 9800XT comes with a free voucher for HL2 also, both XT models do, last time I looked anyways. Id go for the 9800xt, wouldnt need to upgrade it for a year or so that way.

Yeah....when I bought my 9800pro in Dec, I also got a HL2 voucher....but when HL2 comes out...is anybody's guess..

The problem with the voucher for a free copy of HL2 is that no one knows which version you will get.

Either the...
1) Single Player Only Version
2) Single Player and Multiplayer Version
3) Collectors Edition (probably has SP and MP included, and more)

so if u get Radeon 9600xt u DO get HL2 reserve.. didn't read that anywhere else in ATI GITG (get in the game)

My Radeon 9000pro was fried due to some incidence, and i ordered a 9600xt, i'm looking forward to it
smile.gif

For clarification, the Collectors editon contains the standard version of the game (both sp and mp) and some book or two, i think the soundtrack i read somewhere, and some other stuff, mainly just the standard collectors editon game stuff. It will also come with the level editor and some extra MP content. Thats about all thats known as of now.

As for a release date, Id have to say some time in t he summer, probly not til the 3rd quarter. Valve does have a working beta that some game reviews, Gamespy being one of them, have played thru, so it does look like HL2 is about as far along as Doom 3, which also looks to have a mid-to-late summer release.

I say wait.  By time HL2 is realeased you will have some things in your favor for buying a high end 9800 for a lot less:

ATI is releasing their next line of Radeon x800 cards.  Prices of 9600 and 9800 should drop over the course of the next several months as the cards move high end to medium end cards.

Alienware demoed a PC at E3 that was using the new PCI express to run two PCI express video cards (http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/main_content.aspx).  They expect to have it available this summer.  Other manufactures will be following suite and AGP based cards will probably drop in price as they get phased out by more powerful PCI express cards over the next year.

Just some things to think about.

I'm waiting for a better videocard. Until then imma stick with my new Radeon 9600xt
smile.gif
i bought this instead of the higher 9800, cuz i wanted to wait till the PCI Express 16x came out. then i'd get that
tounge.gif

i saw a demo using the new generation invidia video cards that are coming out. one character alone had over 10.000 polygons. that's insane. The graphics in the new version of this game was able to be seen for the first time because there was finally a card that could play it faster than 2-5 frames per second.

I can't wait for HL 2 but i'm waiting to buy my card after it's realease when we will have real info on what cards work really well.

So i'm getting new motherboard, with serial ata running raid on two 120 gig hdd, gigbit lan,and a gig of paired ram. That way all i need is a new video card and i got the speeeeeed we all want.

Here's the card i have been watchin for a while, but as i said, i'm waiting

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/r9800xt-2.html

lovein it

sealcomm

Back