Hey dudes

Ultima Avatar

Okay just answer that question and life is good. Chose not to make a poll, because, frankly, I missed the poll button and hit the topic. But discussing it instead of giving a yes or no is better.

Yes.

biggrin.gif

ci-vil-i-ty:
1]Courteous behavior; politeness.
2]A courteous act or utterance.

Just so we're all on the same page, you are asking if TV is making us a less courteous society?

Is TV making us a society less civil, less courteous, less caring, less moral? Is TV harming American society or not? Can TV harm us, morally, mentally?

TV desensitizes us. if we saw a murder it would take us a second to think "wait a sec, that was real!"

TV also is pushing sex, homosexuality, evolution and other agendas down our throats.

I rarely watch TV

I agree with CCGR regarding the homosexual agenda.

It truly seems that in the last 2-3 years nothing is taboo anymore on TV.

Like anything else, there is good & bad in TV. As a parent my concern needs to be monitoring what my kids are watching (even cartoons these days) so as not to allow evil into my home.

Kinda like fish. You eat the meat and throw away the bones. I do the same with TV. My wife and I very much enjoy watching certain shows together, but there are many things I won't watch.

An answer to your question is yes, TV has the power to make us a less civil society. But so does the internet, magazines, newspapers, movies just to list a few. As Christians we should be promoting and supporting those things that are good on TV or other forms of media.

Well, I am not even in the US and choosing what to watch has become way more difficult (or easy , depending how you look at it )

That's cool. But how exactly is TV pushing homosexuality, violence and whatnot? Is it because their air a show that they're forcing it on you? Nahh, 'cause you have the power to flip the channel or just turn the boob tube off.
Is it wrong to have a show that depicts individuals who have no care for morals in the face of justifying their wants, or of individuals who lead sick, twisted lives (think Nip/Tuck, and The Shield)? Is it wrong to have sick humor (think South Park).
I would say morally it is, but HOW does it harm us? How does it dull the morals?

there is a significant danger with evil being commonplace in our lives.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Luke 11:34-36
The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

There are 2 scenarios. As christians if we are watching those 'immoral' shows, obviously our eye is not 'single' or pure, and in reference to those verses listed above, our relationship with God will suffer as well as our testimony. That will also lead to us acting in the flesh, and not being led as much by the spirit.

From CS Lewis, Mere Christianity -
"People often think of Christian morality as a kind of bargain in which God says, 'If you keep a lot of rules, I'll reward you, and if you don't I'll do the other thing.' I do not think that is the best way of looking at it. I would much rather say that every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before. And taking your life as a whole, with all your innumerable choices, all your life long you are slowly turning this central thing into a Heaven creature or into a hellish creature: either into a creature that is in harmony with God, and with other creatures, and with itself, or else into one that is in a state of war and hatred with God, and with its fellow creatures, and with itself. To be the one kind of creature is Heaven: that is, it is joy, and peace, and knowledge, and power. To be the other means madness, horror, idiocy, rage, impotence, and eternal loneliness. Each of us at each moment is progressing to the one state or the other."

But even if as christians we don't watch the 'immoral' shows, there is still an impact. The standard of Gods righteousness has never changed. Yet we as a society are moving further and further away from that standard.

Remember, God is a righteous judge. He will always judge sin. And when I allow into my home those things which are an abomination in His sight, I individually, and we as a nation will be judged for that (Sodom & Gomorrah, great flood, philistines, amalakites, egyptians etc).

If we ever really understood how much of a spiritual battle we are in at a heart level, not just intelectually, we might stop wasting our time on so many things that are inconsequential.

I haven't watched TV with any regularity since 1999. Now I only watch TV IF

1. Hockey is on and a game worth watching is on. ie. Canucks cup final (an oxymoron), or Les Canadiens (OUI!! ON Y VAS MES BELLES HABITANTES! VA!!!) actually make it past the semifinals.
2. There is no #2.

If a show is really well done (rare), I'll rent it on DVD (because most shows these days go on DVD). I get free DVD rentals from a friend. Shows like.., Band of Brothers, uh... 24 (some episodes), and such.

Back