Hate trojans!

Talori

Been spending that last 2 nights trying to remove one! Finally have a clean system again... I hope. I have banned the kids from my computer for a while. They started downloading anything they wanted on my computer without my permission while I was gone at work - and that infected my computer.

So now after spending many hours cleaning up their mess, I will be back online to play :)

For future referance, I've found that virus scans don't always get trojans... I use Trojan Hunter to take care of the really bad ones... its a pay for program, but you can use the demo to fix any major problems. =)

As I posted just now in CGA general... I ended up going to the geek forum. I used HijackThis!, AboutBuster and CleanUp to remove all the uglies. As well as doing some of my own "search and destroy". I found several .exe files in my Windows and System32 folders created by who knows what, so I just checked every .exe file and deleted anything that was created in the last month (which covers about everything the kids have downloaded without my permission :p ).

Here are some utilities that I use to keep my systems squeaky clean:

Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spywareblaster

Run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy regularly to wipe spyware off your system, use Spybot S&D's Immunize feature, and install and update Spywareblaster to keep spyware from ever being install on your system.

And, if you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you might be able to set up individual accounts for your children with the Internet disabled.

I have Ad-Aware and Spybot that I have run regularly. This trojan slipped past them. I had used the AVG recommended method to rid myself of the bugger, and it didn't work. I ran CWShredder, Ad-Aware, Spybot, then AVG and then again scan under safe mode. It was after that didn't work that I went to the geek forum.

I had files for some Home Search Assistant, Search Extender, Shopping Wizard... etc etc that just wouldn't be gone. The kids mainly just go to NeoPets online, but the oldest started going to download games at any site without first checking with me, and that is where the problems started. I am surprised my husband's computer didn't get hit as well. The kids still use his, but they are now under a no download restriction on all computers :)

Back