Half-Life

TrigunX89

OK, so basically I have never played HL, or any expansions.   Not even CS.  I somehow feel like I've missed out on an incredible game.  (err...  obviously)  Anyway, is it still worth buying now?  I've seen the whole HL collection very cheap now.  Also, how is the content?  (Mostly language, etc...  I know FPS's are violent.)  Inconveniently, my PC is in the middle of the house, where it can bother everyone.  So, any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You can still buy Half-life, Id recommend the Platinum or Generations (Euro version of Platinum in a nice DVD-case). Content wise, there are far worse games as far as violence and blood(which can be turned off). There is only some langauge in the OpFor expasion pack, but not a whole lot. Being that you can get the platinum or generations pack for under $20, I got mine for $15 somewhere online, its a game thats definetely worth picking up.

i got the game of the year edition HL and its good for $20 but i would agre with jfreak, get cs: condition zero

Fantastic game!  Still good today simply because it is THAT good.  If you are looking for really great atmosphere and immersive gameplay, this is the game.  It's not just a straight shooter, there are also puzzles to figure out.

Opposing Force had some pretty bad language (lots of the 'S' word).  The original game had some bad words ('H' and 'D' a bit).

The game can tend to be rather violent.  Especially when you are using the crowbar.  Blood spatters (although you can turn it off).  There are scenes of mutated creatures eating the bodies of scientists.

I still have some very memorable moments of the games.  One of my favorite levels is "We've Got Hostiles".

Check out the reviews on CCGR (Half-Life, Opposing Force, and Blue Shift).

Funny, I saw the reviews for Opposing Force and Blue Shift, but couldn't find one for the original.

I figure I'll buy it, and just play it when people aren't around, so it doesn't bother anyone.

"We've got Hostiles" was good, but my favorite levels were "Questionable Ethics" and "Surface Tensions." Those levels were awesome
smile.gif

No, I haven't gotten it yet. I might get it next week, when I should have the money. Thanks again, everyone, for the opinions and stuff. I'll let you all know if I get it.

Well, I got CS. Actually, my friend has the retail version, and I made a copy of it. *Shh... Don't tell anyone.* I'm still planning on buying the original HL though. I want to play through the story and stuff.

yeah, you're gonna wanna get HL, just cause it's so awesome. And after you do, it'll be legal to have CS seeing as it is also a mod for HL.

i got to the part where those crazy 3 leg-like creature, defeated it with crazy effort of dying at least 60+ lol i figured that i hav to duck and walk all around after talking to the stupid police guy -_-.

I went around to the train station, but i had to format there
sad.gif
i'll restart it maybe. might even cheat through this time since i beat it. (sv_gravity, sv_friction, etc. ;))

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dudedude7000 @ May 25 2004,9:24)]yeah, you're gonna wanna get HL, just cause it's so awesome. And after you do, it'll be legal to have CS seeing as it is also a mod for HL.
And plus, I can't get it to work anyway lol.

So I will be getting HL when I can.

If you do get HL, especially watch out for the Marines!

I'm surprised the Marines do a better job than playing CS, lol.
laugh.gif

U throw a grenade at them, they run for cover. Your stuck in a corner, they'll ambush you from all directions.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I like the marines. That's why "We've Got Hostiles" is my favorite level. I believe that's the first level with the marines and you are constantly shaking in your seat wondering where they will pop out from.

it is still worth buying.

i bought 2 copies a month ago, to make sure our 4 machines all have their 'own' copy for steam....

There are soooooooo many mods for it, if you started now, you could stay busy till HL3 comes out.... lol

there are also a lot of first person 'mods' or levels or whatever they are, so you can still play by yourself and not be playing online if you want to. PLUS you can turn on the content filter thats in HL and problem solved

sealcomm

Back