Guild Add-Ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critforce

I was wondering if there are any add-ons that are required by MSC. A lot of the guilds I've been in previously had a list of mods you needed to have if you were going to raid etc. Do we have anything like that?

I know that someone told me about Omen for monitoring aggro, and I guess it works with the data from another mod as well, KLM Threatmeter? I don't know if I have the acronym right, wasn't that a 90's group? KLM? Anyway, if there are mods that would help us work better as a group I'd be willing to give them a shot. Any suggestions? I do have Omen loaded now but don't know who else uses it.

KLH Threatmeter (see, you were very close) and Omen are the two that are most popular. The main advantage that Omen has is that it will track everyone's threat from ALL mobs in the vicinity, while KLH only tracks threat on one mob at a time. Omen will also "read" data from both.

To use them to their full, everyone in the group has to have it installed. Omen is updated daily, and some folks find that frustrating, because there are small differences in data between versions. The actual numerical data of threat is different, but the percentage is the same, so if you just watch the graph, you should have no problem.

In raiding, Deadly Boss Mobs or BigWigs help as well, both being Boss timers / warning addons.

I know there are a plethera of updater tools out there these days. I use WowMatrix, seems to work well but does not have all mods (although it does have a great deal). I think that Curse has their own as well as Ace. WowMatrix suits my needs but does anyone have any experience with any of the others?

We (meaning me and Lechuza) use WoWAce Updater - It is very good and we have no problem. We also have Macs here (no PCs).

We have over 88 addons we personally use, but the guild as such does not have any ones that they recommend. Lechuza has even gone on to craft our UI. We like it cause we are both button crazy. :D

If you want a list, I can put that together for you.

Here are some of my recommendations or at least my favorites:
Omen Threat meter
Tom-Tom for questing help
Atlas
Enchantix
Auctioneer
Feed o matic (think that's the name) for hunters

So if we have any guild required ones we need to explore that for good reason.

I think that we should make a boss timer required for running instances. I don't know that we have to make a specific one mandatory, just that you have one. To go along with that we need to make sure that everyone knows, when the timer is up, get out of line of sight, or disarm before mind control sets in or whatever their special gig is.

Let me recommend a couple for instances and especially Kara if your planning on doing it.

Omen (Threat Management meter)
Deadly Boss Mods (Boss Timers)
Ora2 or CTRaid (Raid/Tank Management)
ClassTimers (Very useful for any class with DoT's, easily identifiable when you need to refresh SW:pain for example)

I use Big Wigs with it's BC modules: it includes timers for all the new raids, plus a module (Little Wigs) that has timers / warnings for BC 5-man content.

I prefer Ace addons, and it seems to have a smaller memory footprint.

I know there are a plethera of updater tools out there these days. I use WowMatrix, seems to work well but does not have all mods (although it does have a great deal). I think that Curse has their own as well as Ace. WowMatrix suits my needs but does anyone have any experience with any of the others?

As Madiera pointed out, we use WowAceUpdater, after switching from MacAceUpdater. I switched to WowMatrix (I refuse to link to them, but they are easily googled) for a bit (saw it on BRK's blog) but switched back when I saw a lot of the Ace Addon community were upset.

Seems the writers of WowMatrix never asked for permission to include their (Ace developers) addons in the program. While this may not seem like a big deal (users of the new updater keep on pointing out that it is a great service), it is to the writers of the addons.

Imagine writing a poem, then finding out that a local journal included your work, crediting you, but never asking for or receiving your permission, and when asked, claim that the exposure is good for you. They enjoy advertising sales, you get 'exposure".

They have ads on their site, and include donation links as well. None of that goes to the authors of the addons, just to the authors of WowMatrix. By including other people's work, they make their own more valuable (if it didn't update all the Ace addons, many fewer people would be using it).

The program itself seems to work very well, and claims to be safe from keyloggers / trojans / viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back