Greatest Game Ever?

Now, I know plenty of you will totally disagree, but...
According to a poll, BBC News has determined that the greatest game EVER...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6261546.stm

is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time!

I have to say that I agree 90%!
(the other 10% of me says that Twilight Princess beat it slightly)

But in any case, the greatest video game in the history of Earth is my favorite! W00t!

(But Oblivion only got 19th x_x")

i know we've had this discussion but ff7 is the token best game ever, and no im not a zelda fan, ffXII should not be on that list neither should halo

It makes sense that most of the top ten games have mainstream appeal. In order to be played a lot a game would have to appeal to a wide range of people and I'm happy to see there aren't many "mature" games in that list (excepting Resident Evil 4 but I've never played any of those games which proves my point).

I know we've had this discussion but ff7 is the token best game ever, and no im not a zelda fan, ffXII should not be on that list neither should halo

You are right Final Fantasy 12 should not be on that list. It's far too new a game to see if it stands the test of time. I'm also pretty sure there are a lot more people who don't play RPGs at all when compared to not playing other genres (with them taking a long time to play comparatively). Because of that there should not be many RPGs on that list at all.

I didn't think FF 7 was that great though. For the time period it did have revolutionary gameplay but its' not a game I enjoyed enough to play again.

I don't play games over again... I may have done it a few times, but it's not my custom.

(Excluding Morrowind and [if I ever get it running on my computer] probably Oblivion, which sometimes have too much to do.)

Meh, its a marketing gimmick to sell more of their next Edge magazine issue.

Because otherwise at least one of the following should have made the list:

C&C,
StarCraft,
WoW (even though I haven't played it, enough people have for it to achieve legendary status and is an icon that will be remembered for many, many, years after its gone...),
Tomb Raider,
KoToR,
Age of Empires,
and I would think Morrowind was at the least a little bit better than Oblivion but since Zelda got two spots why not TES?

Lastly, I agree that there is NO reason that FFXII should be on that list, much less NUMBER EIGHT. FFVII would be personal choice instead of it, but I could see FFVIII or even FFX.

Meh. It was good (Zelda: OoT) for its time. Move on, people.

Oh, and Dead Rising is, by far, the greatest game ever XD

(mowing over zombies with a lawnmower, people!!)

Zelda: OcT is a great game--I actually never finished it... Still, judging by the other games that made it into the top 10 (and more importantly, the ones that didn't), I'm saying the credibility is low.

-Chadley

FFVII FTW :cool:

That's a good pick. I wouldn't necessarily disagree. However... I think Doom or Quake, or really any game that epitomizes the FPS phenomenon, probably eclipses that one game. It's not so much that any of the popular FPSs are better than OoT, it's just that Doom/Quake/CS/UT/HL represent a continuous dominating force in video games, whereas OoT was merely the pinnacle of a console that had a lot of high and low points.

My list;

1.) DooM
2.) Final Fantasy VII
3.) Wing Commander
4.) Duke Nukem 3D
5.) Half-Life 1 & 2
6.) Balduer's Gate 1 & 2
7.) Elder Scrolls III & IV
8.) Command and Conquer
9.) StarCraft
10.) Resident Evil 2

I think Zelda: Ocarina of Time has the rightful place as number one. My favorite part of any video game ever was in the Gerudu Fortress. Escaping the prison and getting into scuffles with some of those guards was an unforgettable experience.

I put all Legend of Zelda games, TES III and IV, and Command & Conquer games at the top of my list, in no particularly definite order (although mostly Zelda and TES at the top, and C&C between TES and some Zeldas... like Link's Adventure o.0)

That is a surprisingly good point. Makes me wish I'd actually played the game. Maybe I can find it somewhere when I have a little change to spend...

I purchased Zelda: Ocarina of Time on Virtual Console before moving at the beginning of March. I've only made it to the second dungeon, but it's been a solid game to this point.

So far, I think I prefer Twilight Princess over OoT, but my judgment might be skewed by having played TP first.

I purchased Zelda: Ocarina of Time on Virtual Console before moving at the beginning of March. I've only made it to the second dungeon, but it's been a solid game to this point.

So far, I think I prefer Twilight Princess over OoT, but my judgment might be skewed by having played TP first.

They came out with a Ocarina of Time: Take 2 before the release of Windwaker. It had completely new dungeons, though everything else was the same. Just thought I'd throw that fact out there.

I'm still in the middle of Twilight Princess right now, and my feelings are mixed. We'll see what happens when I get to the end.

I'm pre-editing this post: I just went on a bit of a nostalgic rant, my apologies

How come nobody ever mentions Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball anymore?

Seriously, back when all my friends were playing XBOX and PS2 games, I was too busy playing that with my best friend to even care than Dead to Rights was sitting unopened right in front of me. I'm really not one to take sports games too seriously, Madden is a joke to me, and I would really never, ever, ever buy one of these new MLB games, but Griffey baseball was just so...much...fun! Baserunners going SMACK! into the infielders, outfielders going CRUNCH! into the foul post....now I've gotta dig out my in-laws SNES

OoT: Take 2 as in OoT: Master Quest?

It's supposed to be the same, but with harder dungeons.

Twilight Princess had the best story line of all Zeldas (and I liked the Twilight portal teleportation thing xD)

Back