Going to server transfer

Koeril

Hi all,

While facing ever increasing troubles with internet lag, I am going to be forced to server transfer from Sanctum of Rall to a European server. While I have a decent internet connection (10Mbps down and 1Mbps up), it is getting worse and worse every week. Even now in PvE I am having trouble even timing evades and I know that this is going to wreck me in PvP situations.

However, unless I am mistaken, I think as long as I represent the LoE guild tag I am still in the guild chat, so for the most part things will probably seem like nothing changed! I may join a guild at some point on the new EU server I go to, but that will be a dark day indeed. I do pray and hope that I can find one as awesome, loving, and joyful as LoE.

On that note, does anyone know of an EU server that has a Christian guild? Every search on Google always points to Sanctum of Rall as the server to go to for a Christian guild - seems like there are many!

Blessings to you all!

Last edited:
I think CCGaming went to Sorrows Furnace. Not sure if that's an EU server or not or if it's even the server name anymore. Really not sure if that's where they went either but it's all I got so there ya go.

It should also be noted that CCGaming does not have an official clan guild. Just CC people who have joined together.

To be honest, after doing a test last night in going to one of the more busy PvP servers, the lag was just as bad. It hasn't always been like this, so maybe server population and server load has something to do with it? I don't know. When my 24-hour timer runs out on server transfers, I will switch to a lower population server and see if that makes a difference. If it remains the same, I may as well just stay on Sanctum of Rall and deal with the lag. Of course, good company is sometimes more important than playability - something I am now realizing and considering.

There might be another problem as well. Especially if you're getting lag on servers from different locations. If you have more problems you might try submitting a ticket.

There might be another problem as well. Especially if you're getting lag on servers from different locations. If you have more problems you might try submitting a ticket.

I was thinking that too, but am not sure if I want to pursue that yet. I'll try the server population idea tonight and then proceed. To piggy back on my thoughts posted just prior (above) however, I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing latency to the tune of 200ms (1/5th of a second) or so? I see people complaining about it, but they are mostly Aussies and I can understand their latency if trying to connect to NA/EU servers from Australasia.

Last edited:
I do not believe server lag will be much different no matter what server you are on, as far as PvP goes, because there are other players. PvE would probably be better.

Think about it this way: I'm in midwest USA. If you are fighting me in PvP, there is absolutely no way possible for us to avoid lag. If the server is in your house, I will lag. If the server is in my basement, you will lag. That's all there is to it. The only way to reduce lag would be for us to both be in the same location...which could possibly happen sometimes if they auto-match people from the same location, but I can't see it helping much in a structured tournament or WvW.

Making things worse...it's very possible that there aren't even any PvP servers in Europe...they might all be in Dallas. The USA crowd tends to get catered to, and ANet is an American company, so it's very possible that is the case.

Very good possibility, Ryan. Tonight's test was odd to say the least. Unfortunately, I forgot the cardinal rule of science - only change one variable at a time. I switched to a low population ("medium" in the server list) and also updated my gfx driver. I had no problems at all in PvE tonight - even during the Battle of Fort Trinity which has a lot of NPC's and so forth. In order to get a better result, tomorrow I will switch back to Sanctum of Rall and see if maybe it was just the gfx driver that needed tending to. It was on a much lower version, but I could swear that I updated my driver at my resent reformat :confused:

Tomorrow is a fairly busy day, but I'll also pop into WvW to test that out before the switch so that I have more to base my experience on. Since EU servers get matched up with EU server, I would think that the lag wouldn't be bad at all. Sure, they may route through America, but then again for a EU-EU matched WvW, that seems odd to me.

Oh, and my monitored latency was unchanged, but the client was much more responsive. Dodges went off at the right time, etc etc.

Last edited:
Just a quick note - your FPS should be fine, even if you are lagging terribly. Any FPS lag is an issue on GFX or CPU. I hope the card update fixes things!

I popped over to SoR again last night and things were better so that is good. I'm confused why, however, because the gfx drivers shouldn't make that much of a difference with perceived internet lag. Stuttering and frame rate drops, sure, but this was definitely feeling more like internet lag. Experimentation will continue ... perhaps it is my beloved overseas ISP.

Speaking of which, my ISP is the state-run phone company which provides 10/1 Mbps. I know we have some people who are much smarter about this than I am, so my question is to know whether switching to a 6/6 Mbps private company would be a better choice when it comes to gaming or Skype calls to America. Follow up question: Does latency have more to do with than speed? What about packet loss, etc.

There's bandwidth, and then there's latency...and when it comes to real-time activities like gaming, ping is king. A good example is satellite: this tends to have high bandwidth, but due to the distance (~22k miles) from the earth, a round trip for a packet is looking at .5 seconds, and that would be at the speed of light in a vaccuum. This half second matters very little on an hour-long download, but it matters a lot if you want to be notified when someone attacks in enough time to dodge it.

And it's not just about having a good ping on a good day - it's about having a good ping during the busy times. Pretty much the only way to find out which ISPs are good on this would be to research via reviews, or try them for a month and do extensive network monitoring. You may be able to find some info online from someone who has already done this.

Packet loss is probably a non-issue...if there was major loss the ISP would be taking on a ton more traffic than needed, and that wouldn't fly. As for the 6/6 vs 10/1 question, extremely possible that could be better in both scenariors. While having a lot more on the download side is typical, 1Mbps is not much on the upload end, especially once you factor in that you usually won't get that and other latency issues. This could be having an impact on your friends/family seeing your smiling face well. It could also be the bottleneck on your gaming...and networking is all about bottlenecks. It doesn't matter if you're on a 100 KPH road if you have someone blocking the road moving a double-wide and can't get around them. The other reason the 6/6 might work better is that 10/1 type setups tend to be on things like cable and dsl, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 6/6 is some type of fiber, which is typically less susceptible to traffic fluctuations.

There are so many variables, I'd pretty much stick with "do I have a problem? Yes? Let me try someone else for a month and see how that works". Trial and error is really the only thing that'll tell you for sure. :)

The 10/1 connection is DSL, first time having that. In my previous city, the internet service was so good that they gave 40/40 connections at the same cost as what I pay here :D I miss those days! I use wireless and so my router was the limitation there. For now, I will be seeing if the lag begins up again while staying on SoR. If it starts up again, then maybe I will pursue the alternate ISP. We've had some trouble on the video calls with my family so it wouldn't be a bad thing!

Back