GFC Source Server

Wirl

on to something new...
Hey gang,

I'm working on an old PC (I'll provide specs later for it), so see if I can fire up a Source Server on it.
I'm going to run Fedora 6 on it, and use it as a server for this purpose only. :D
I hope to have it up before the end of the summer, but we'll see what happens with $$$ and all.

GOD BLESS!!!

OH YEAH BABY!!!

I found out tonight. They are ok to have a game server on the connection.
:D
One step down, and one step closer.

what are the specs ont he server? you'll need at elast a 2 ghz cpu and at least 512 megs of ram in order for source to ahve any chance of running decently.

also don't use fedora..they get end of lifed after 12 months..go with centos 4 or 5. I reccomend 4.

kk, I'll start the dl for Centos today. As far as the specs, I'm going to have 512 on the machine for sure, I wont fire it up before hand. As far as CPU, it's a PIII, but I'm not sure on the power on it.
But HEY(!) I figured it's a good start to at least try some stuff. :D

Oh, Hes, does Centos have a GUI? Just curious.

Ok, as she sits currently this is the specs on this PC that I'm hoping to use.

P3 930MHz, 128MB RAM (168pin, pc100), 20GB HDD, (will have) Centos 4 (as recommended :D )

I'm hoping to upgrade to at least 512MB RAM, I'm not 100% for sure if the board will allow me to go high since I don't have the specs for the MOBO. I'm also hoping to install 2 NIC's in her, and put her between the DSL modem and our network, so that there is no direct access to our home network.

From what I've read, this should be at least an 8 player server. I'm hoping that after some tweaking, we can get her up higher.

I'll keep everyone informed. :D

you won't be able to run custom maps. you really need at least 2ghz. you don't use a gui for linux server..it's all cli. You can use webmin as a sub but do not load any kind fo gui ont he machine or you'll need at least a gig of ram.

catch me on ts sometime and i'll help you get it setup..:)

If I do catch you on TS it will be Sunday. Gotta work tomorrow night.

I wasn't immediately concidering the custom maps yet, I figured that will come later. :D I just want us an avenue for source that isn't out-sourced from the clan. :D
Plus to Hes, I want to learn to do this, and it takes a little pressure off'a you when it comes to servers. :D

I'm really excited about doing it. I think it will be fun.

pressure? NO pressure. If you want to learn running source i'll fire up the source server here and hand you the keys..how's that?

Oh my stars and garters...

Wow, I can try that. :D I'd like to also learn the abc's and 123's of servers too. But if your wanting to fire it up, I can at least try to tackle it. :D

I'll hop on TS and Yahoo Sunday and see if I can catch you... otherwise I'll try and catch you Monday...

Oh and by the way... Happy Early Father's Day :D

Well gang.... I've got the ball rolling, with the HUGEST THANKS AND KUDOS to good (I aint saying old) Hes.

I'm working on the .cfg file now, and I hope to have the new GFC Source server up and running by this coming weekend. (Please allow me to stess, HOPE!)

Keep me in prayers (we you don't really have to, keep Joshua the server in your prayers, he'll need it a lot more than me :D ), and we'll see what happens.

ROFL!!!

Well I made the first attempt last night to fire up the server &...

Nada, ziltch, noth'n... I followed the directions that I had at my disposal, and I didn't get any errors when I gave the command, but she no responded.
LOL

I believe I've missed something in the port settings (couldn't find a thing about that last night, goofy Google). But hey, this is a learning process, and I didn't receive a phone call this morning saying that a server started smoking last night about 2am. :D

I'll keep plugging away at it, and we'll see what happens. :D

I got a great crash course education from good'ole Talon last night on srcds server. :D He showed me many a way to set it up, and put some cool plug-ins on it. Also, some cool ways to secure it from those mean old nasty hackers in the world.

I've also decided to still setup a server at my home too. With the training I'm getting now, I'll be able to host another Source server here, and make a GUN GAME(!!!) server. hehehehe Love that gun game.

I'll keep ya'll posted, and God bless.

The saga continues...

SHE WAS RUNNING!!!! This morning to be exact.... however discovered one flaw in the works... I could not see it on HLSW or in game.

I'm awaiting assistance from the SERVER MASTER(!) for a solution. :D

SHE LIVES!!!!!! I was on her last night....

ONE LAST PROBLEM... I can't get her to stay on. When I fired her up, and left the connection, the server closed. Going to check on that this evening, and also some start, stop, and restart scripts.

SHE'S A COMING!!!!

Back