Get Shadowbane, FOR FREE!!

theapoc

Here.

Shadowbane went free yesterday. I played SB a year or so back with two friends of mine. Back then I knew little about MMORPG's (or just RPG's) so I wasn't completely thrilled about it. But from what I remember, the game was very good.

theapoc, you left out the part where it's a free 15 day TRIAL.

The game is rated TEEN for blood and violence...but we all know that changes when you go online.

The way I understood it, the 15-day trial is the complete game, just with a 15 day limit. You still have to do the accounting part, but there is no money charged. I don't think it requires a credit card or anything like that, but im not sure.

theapoc said:
The way I understood it, the 15-day trial is the complete game, just with a 15 day limit. You still have to do the accounting part, but there is no money charged. I don't think it requires a credit card or anything like that, but im not sure.

Not according to their website...which was updated AFTER I made my previous post :p

In addition, those who wish to try out Shadowbane for the first time will also be able to. All you have to do is create a new ubi.com account and then click on Add a Subscription, and you will have free access to the lands of Aerynth! This is not a Free-Trial subscription and it will not run out in 15-days. This is completely free!

Ahh yes, now I see.

I've been playing it the past two days. I have a Centaur Priest to level 33. The game doesn't make you spend alot of time leveling, which I like. It's more PVP focused.

Here are my likes and dislikes of some of the popular mmo's I've played.

WoW -

Likes: Gfx are good, follows the story line. Overall it's a MMO done very well.

Dislikes: There's not enough time in life to play it. The community is poor, it's impossible to group with strangers and not have 1/3 of them leave mid instance. It costs a monthly subscription to play.

GuildWars -

Likes: Gfx are amazing, community is good, Gfx are amazing, No monthly payment.

Dislikes: It's to constrained and linear (no jumping, no falling off cliffs, no pvp outside of towns). Some people like this, but I really dont.

EVE Online -

Likes: Good gfx, community is awesome, alot less time spent leveling.

Dislikes: Requires alot of time to travel from one end of the map to the other, but it can all be done on autopilot and doesn't require you to be at the computer. Monthly subscription.

Shadowbane
-

Likes: Free! Free! Free!, can be played well with little time, alot less time spent leveling than in other mmo's, community is good, more pvp focused.

Dislikes: Gfx are fair, sound is poor.

And now you know why...

Breaking News: Wolfpack Closing
Date: Mar 28, 2006 Author: Dana Massey

Wolfpack Studios - the developers of Shadowbane - is closing.

This according to sources at the development house who were recently informed that their jobs were being terminated. The last day for Wolfpack staff is May 15th.

Parent company UBISoft is said to instead be redirecting their company's focus to next-gen platforms.

At this time, there is no word on what this will mean for the future of Shadowbane itself. The game just hit its three-year anniversary and was recently offered free to all users.

In total, approximately 25 people at the Austin, TX studio have been left without work.

Yep, heard about this. Apparently Ubisoft fired the boys at Wolfpack because after they made it free they started losing money. Not sure if thier going to make it pay to play again or keep it free at this point, but this doesn't look good for SB 2 :[

I loved eve online, im gona download shadowbane tonight and try it out ^_^
Dofus is what i have been playing a ton over the past month any of you guys try it out yet ?

theapoc said:
Yep, heard about this. Apparently Ubisoft fired the boys at Wolfpack because after they made it free they started losing money.

LOL, and they didn't realize that would happen?!

I need to go into consulting.

I have played SB on and off since it went gold. It is unfortunate that this game has turned out this way since this was by far the best pvp game out to date. (my opinion of course) It had a lot of potential, but due to the fact that the pvp community is much smaller than the care-bare community in these games, SB never really stood a chance at a large audience.

Ahh well, such is life. Here's to hoping a game will come along that incorporates what ShadowBane had that the others have not.

Cory

Back