Gaming Laptop

Wh1te Out

Disclaimer: Please comment based on only the options presented below. Thank you very, very much.

Okay, so assuming these were the choices, would any of these suffice as a gaming laptop? Imagine running things like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, and Diablo III. If they absolutely suck, feel free to say that, and even explain why. Otherwise, a "best of the worst" scenario will be fine, too. Thanks again in advance.

Option #1

HP Pavilion dv6700t series​

Click to Enlarge Image
If you want advanced digital entertainment coupled with leading-edge mobile performance and communication features, our HP Pavilion dv6700t Entertainment Notebook PC delivers! Its highlights: a 15.4" Brightview display and a dazzling new high-gloss design.

Excellent processor options
Intel's Core Duo processors will speed up performance of single apps. And if you run multiple apps on a regular basis, they'll keep your system from boggind down, so you can stay productive.

Sleek look, simple controls
The dv6700t shows off our glossy, black resin finish and Radiance pattern, plus incorporates latch-free closure. In addition, you can control the volume and launch buttons on this 6.3 lb. notebook by simply tapping or swiping your finger across a strip on the keyboard.

Fingerprint security (optional)
Goodbye multiple passwords. Simply swipe your finger across the optional integrated reader on the side of the panel to log on to your dv6700t and to password-protected Web sites and documents.

Easy videoconferencing
Stay in touch with friends and family using the optional integrated low-light VGA webcam and two omni-directional microphones.

Made for entertainment
This notebook's 15.4" high-definition widescreen facilitates viewing; the BrightView option provides a higher contrast ratio and better viewing with DVD movies and games. An Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory delivers best-in-class video for games and multimedia, and you also get integrated Altec-Lansing stereo speakers. The integrated HDMI port (available only with discrete graphics option) lets you view high-definition content on your HDTV (cable sold separately).

Music, photos, and videos
The dv6700t features HP QuickPlay 3.6, which lets you launch DVDs, music, and photos at the touch of a button. An included remote, which tucks away in the ExpressCard slot, lets you control QuickPlay from up to 10 feet. Transfer photos from your camera to the dv6700t via the optional 5-in-1 digital media card reader, then use our Photosmart Premier software for editing, printing, organizing, sharing, and storing of photos. If you pick a SuperMulti DVD±RW/R drive, you can turn your photos into movies, plus edit video and create CDs and DVDs. Choose the LightScribe option on the DVD±RW/R drive to laser-etch labels on CDs and DVDs as you create them.

Easy connections
The HP xb3000 Notebook Expansion Base (sold separately) connects your dv6700t to peripherals, including a monitor if you want a desktop experience. As for ports, you get three USB 2.0, an ExpressCard/54, an RJ-11, an RJ-45, an S-Video, a Consumer IR, a headphone, and an external microphone. 5-in-1 digital media card reader, an IEEE 1394 FireWire, and a second headphone with S/PDIF. Intel Pro/Wireless 4965AGN WLAN with Bluetooth is optional. And you can get connected in more places, without having to hunt for hotspots, with the optional Verizon Wireless V740 1XEVDO PC ExpressCard.1

Designed with the environment in mind
HP notebook PCs are designed to be energy-efficient, with aggressive default power settings to help cut power consumption. HP complies with several voluntary government initiatives for energy efficiency, including ENERGY STAR®. In addition, our notebooks are designed to be recycled, and our packaging is designed to reduce environmental impact.

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Pprocessor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)!!
Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors
Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection!!
Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
WARRANTY 1 yr HP WARRANTY parts plus labor and tech support included.
Primary Battery High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

Option #2

Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop​

Click to Enlarge Image
DELL INSPIRON 1720

Mobile home office or portable entertainment center? Now you don't have to choose. The Inspiron 1720 notebooks pack the power you need for work or play, with a large widescreen display for high definition digital experience, media, photo or video editing, and more.Midnight Blue, Jet Black, or Spring Green? You decide. With 8 optional color backs to choose from, optional premium micro satin finishes and coordinating accessories, your new Inspiron notebook is all about you.Whether you want to do your banking from a café or connect to surf the web, this system has a 17 inch widescreen lcd.

INSPIRON 1720-SPECIFICATIONS

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5550 (1.83GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
DISPLAY Glossy, high contrast, widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440 x 900)
VIDEO CARD Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
HARD DRIVE Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
INTEGRATED WEBCAM No Webcam Option
BATTERY OPTIONS 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft Works
COLOR OPTIONS
Jet Black
Alpine White
Espresso Brown
Ruby Red
Midnight Blue
Spring Green
Flamingo Pink
Sunshine Yellow]
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS 6 Months Risk-Free Trial AOL Advantage Internet Access

Option #3

- Find me a gaming laptop that I can take to Iraq with me for one year and that will serve as my sole source of entertainment for $1000 or less... and I'll thank you... a lot. :)

the integrated graphics on the dell are going to suck..so the hp is good..BUT head to outlet.dell.com and take a look in there. Those are machines tha have been returned for whatever reason...they are usually 20-5-% off and still carry the same new computer wartranty. I have bought several mahcines form the outlet and had a great experience.

I just brought a new lappy and looked very closely at the HP. It is not too bad.

In relation to option 3: I recently brought a 15inch MSI (http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-msi-turbobook-gx600-price-91233.html) Ignore price as this is in AU$ you will get for well under $1000 US (I got mine with 4gig of ram for about $850- $900 US). I got this over the HP you mentioned due to the better video card, TV tuner, etc. If you want to play games this was the cheapest lappy I could find that would play modern games.

MSI build good computers and this one comes factory overclocked so you will get that little bit more out of the cheaper parts.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Of those two the HP is definately the better notebook. You really need a dedicated graphics card to play the games you listed.

I would highly recommend the Gateway P-7811 see link. It is a awesome gaming laptop for a great price. It stood up well against other gaming notebooks that were 1500 - 2000 dollars more! The price point is good too at around 1400.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/gateway_p7811_fx

hope this helps.

I totally recommend the new gateways, they really seem to have turned around since Acer bought them. The new gaming laptops they make have great configurations and the price is very good on them.

how much are you looking to spend? I have a gently used XPS M1730 I'm going to put up for sale in a week or two for a (relatively) low price. Feel free to PM me for specs...beast of a machine :)

That Gateway has great reviews all over the place. Other than the weight, that may be the direction I lean, when the time comes. Sometime in the next month I'll be making this purchase most likely. Thanks for the recommendations, and keep them coming if anyone has anything to add.

There should be 2 different phrase with Gaming Laptop and Laptops for gaming.

Its very clear, Gaming Laptops are expensive.

While, Laptops for gaming are reasonable good for a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, Diablo III and Starcraft 2 has not given a specification.

ScLegacy.com said:
StarCraft II was played on Asus Republic of Gamers G71V laptops during the event with these specs:

* Intel® Quad Core QX9300
* DDR2 800MHz SDRAM, 4GB
* Nvidia GeForce 9700M GT, with 512MB GDDR3 VRAM

However, this is nowhere near the actual game requirements. These laptops ran the game at max settings at a very smooth frame rate, and were mainly at the event to promote Asus laptops.

Something like that is a Gaming Laptop while the ones above are Laptops for gaming.

If $1000 is your budget, Graphics card, CPU and RAM are the primaries.

But that would be hard to find, the best I could find is this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220389

Last edited:
ScLegacy.com said:
StarCraft II was played on Asus Republic of Gamers G71V laptops during the event with these specs:

* Intel® Quad Core QX9300
* DDR2 800MHz SDRAM, 4GB
* Nvidia GeForce 9700M GT, with 512MB GDDR3 VRAM

However, this is nowhere near the actual game requirements. These laptops ran the game at max settings at a very smooth frame rate, and were mainly at the event to promote Asus laptops.

They do over-the-top performance PCs so the game does not hang up or glitch while the game is being showcased. Think of it as using a Hummer as a golfcart. Its just overkill.

I have a hard time believing StarCraft II or Diablo III would need 4 gigs of ram and that kind of processor, I cannot speak for Fallout 3 or Mass Effect though.

Last edited:
Back